First Ever Turned Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
In less than a week since "turning" darkside, and purchasing HF lathe, I've completed my first turned work(s).

Two Montblanc style pens. The first (on left) is from leftover Zebrawood (from 1st Jewelry box project) and the second is Cherry (so cheerfully donated by one, NC Scroller).

Both are finished with CA and furniture paste wax. I wanted to maintain the tactile feel of wood and present it in a more natural way (plus my HUT WT Finish hasn't arrived in mail). I couldn't wait.....

Anyhoo, thanks for looking.

Having a blast with turning,
Matt

First_Turned_Pens.JPG

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Great pens!

As you've been warned, that's one slippery slope you're falling down!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
They look good! I too have found that I prefer the tactile feel of the wood over a thick CA finish. But I do that for the pens I use. FOr the ones I make for others they seem impressed by the glossy CA finish done full-bore.

Doug

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
They look good! I too have found that I prefer the tactile feel of the wood over a thick CA finish. But I do that for the pens I use. FOr the ones I make for others they seem impressed by the glossy CA finish done full-bore.

Doug

That is exactly what I plan to do as Holiday gifts, the "fine glossy" for my friends and family. :icon_thum Probably keep these for me-self, you know, for historical purposes...lol

Matt

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Nice work Matt. Hold on to your first pen. You'll be giving plenty of them away in the near future as all of your friends and family will want them. Making stuff round is fun :icon_thum

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Those are some nice pens.Do keep your first,it give's you something to judge your progress with.Haven't tried the ca finish yet:icon_scra.Mabe someday:dontknow:.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Spiffy pens, Matt. You're jamming to the siren song of the darkside.

Thank you all, fellow darksiders. Your kind words of encouragement are truly appreciated.

I will soon transcend deeper into the dark depths of diameter by attempting a small bowl. Alas, forever disappearing into the abyss. Not to worry I'll be taking a sweater!

Wish me well.

Matt

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The pens look great!:icon_thum

I will soon transcend deeper into the dark depths of diameter by attempting a small bowl. Alas, forever disappearing into the abyss. Not to worry I'll be taking a sweater!

Wish me well.
You'll soon have company on your journey. I finally got my old 'Kenmore' lathe going tonight & turned a couple of 'short broom handles' outa some poplar & mahogany, but I feel the tug.
Strong it is.
I'll be taking my bath towel. This trip may take me across the galaxy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS