First Drum Sander Thoughts

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
Looking at the Jet 1632. Any thoughts? I build a lot of rustic farmhouse (think 2x4 and 2x2 lumber) and looking to reduce the amount of sanding I'm doing big time. Always heard Supermax was the way to go but every time I look, I see them not getting great reviews.

spartyon8

Peter
User
I just bought the same drum sander (performax 16/32) used 2 weeks ago and it has quickly become my go to next to the table saw. Great upgrade to any shop in my opinion. Mine is the earlier version that says to use a shop vac but it works 10x better with a true dust collector.

Last edited:

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought my first drum sander in March. Did a lot of research. I went with the Super Max 16-32. Has a few upgrades over the Jet at the same price. I haven’t had any issue. The Super Max is a really nice machine. I would recommend checking into it.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I have the Jet 16/32, purchased new and no issues, works fine.

For what you intend using it though, I am not sure it is the right application.

Even if one uses 220 grit and take extremely light cuts, the sanding marks remain and has to be removed with a RO.

For me, cleaning up with a good 6” RO after the planer is faster than cleaning up after the drum sander.

Where it comes in handy is sanding segmented rings, making 1/16” and thicker veneer, and dimensioning highly figured lumber.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I've owned a few different drum sanders over the years, and I can tell you that the U.S. made Woodmaster is hands down the best I've ever used. I currently own their 2 head 50" machine, and couldn't be happier with it. From my understanding, their small machines are built as heavily as the large ones. They don't look as 'branded' or 'developed' as the big contenders, but they perform better hands down. Paper is lasting 3-4 times as long as I ever got from Steel City or Supermax. Dust collection is far superior to either of the ones I owned before.

bbrown

Bill
User
Was not even aware of Woodmaster. Good to know Kent.
I've been in the market for a drum sander for about 35 years (!), but just couldn't pull the plug due to cost.
Always considered it one of those luxoury machines, but with all the inlay and veneer work I do it would save me a ton of time and effort.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have owned a Woodmaster 38" single drum sander for 0ver 30 years. I consider it the best investment I ever made for eliminating a lot of sanding time. The only thing I think would top it is a oscillating belt sander but that is a lot more money.

vinson

Doug
Corporate Member
I have had the Super max for a couple of months and really like it. I use it every time I am in the shop. As mentioned, it has a few features that the Jet does not.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
What wood(s) are you sanding? When I hear 2x material, I think pitchy Southern Yellow Pine and that stuff is rough on belts - it'll gum them up in no time flat...

I don't/won't sand SYP on my Woodmaster..anymore...

-Mark

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
What wood(s) are you sanding? When I hear 2x material, I think pitchy Southern Yellow Pine and that stuff is rough on belts - it'll gum them up in no time flat...

I don't/won't sand SYP on my Woodmaster..anymore...

-Mark

I do not do much with SYP, mostly SPF lumber off the big box store floor. I rip a lot of 2x2s from 2x4s and of other pine type seasonal craft projects. I am also am doing more glue ups for shelves and tops.

Thanks!

Herdfan2005

New User
Jason
I have had the Super max for a couple of months and really like it. I use it every time I am in the shop. As mentioned, it has a few features that the Jet does not.

I looked at the Supermax 1632 at Woodcraft just the other day, seemed like a nice machine.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
I have the Woodmaster dual drum sander. Don't use it as much since I got a Hammer jointer/planer machine with the Silent Power cutting head. Comes out of the planer ready to sand starting with 120 grit.
Don't sand any Pine as a first test with your new machine like I did. It will gum up the sandpaper in a heartbeat.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I will be getting rid of my Grizzly dual drum and buying a Supermax this fall.

Gumming easily take care of with a big gum sanding eraser.

I think the cheapest Woodmaster sander is still over $3K.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I bought the same drum sander (Performax 16/32) from an estate sale about three years ago and it quickly became one of my favorite tools. It can even stand in as a thickness planer for light work.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS