Fireplace built-ins

Status
Not open for further replies.

gad5264

New User
Grant
Here are some pictures of the last big project I did of a fireplace built in unit for my neighbor. He bought the materials. I cut, glued and installed and he and his wife stained.

The cabinets are made of mostly oak faced plywood. The sides are 3/4" and the back is 1/4" material. The face frames and doors are constructed of 1X material and the unit is finished in honey oak with 2 coats of wipe on poly.

BuiltIns1.JPG

BuiltInsLeft.JPG

BuiltInsRight.JPG

BuiltInsMantle1.JPG

Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, Grant! I like the way your finish so closely resembles the finish on the mantel. (I am currently have a TV stand on the go for one of my daughters and also using oak ply and 1x oak for the trim. I will have to keep your finish in mind. whenever I reach that point)

Thanks for the pics,

Wayne

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great looking work Grant.:icon_thum Those built-ins turned out nicely. I am sure your neighbors are very happy with them.

D L

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, Grant, I love the symmetry, the color matching and the way you tied it all together. Very nice stuff there!

I've never done built-ins but would like to try it some day.

Nice neighborly act if you ask me!!

Chuck

gad5264

New User
Grant
michaelgarner said:
how much scribing did you have to do?

Scribing?

I am assuming you are referring to the fit-up between the brick and the plywood. There was actually no scribing done at all. The sides of the fireplace were really smooth except for a few spots that we knocked off with a chisel and a hammer.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice job there Grant. There happens to be an empty house next door to me:lol: . How would you like a new neighbor????
Randy

davisjarrett

New User
Jarrett
Nice built-ins there Grant. It seems that Red Oak is really making a comeback in homes these days, especially in the Midwest huh? They do turn out to be some real nice pieces. Good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS