Finishing Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Which would be a better reference?:
Bob Flexner's Understanding Wood Finishing (2005 updated version)
or Jeff Jewitt's Finishing (2004)

As to my knowledge level, I have worked professionally with coatings since 1967, but the majority of that was concerning the protection of metals, fiberglas, composites and structural wood. I have a lot to learn about furniture finishing and have little knowledge concerning dyes, tints, etc. and the vagaries of fine woods, etc.

I bought the Bob Flexner book today, but can exchange it for Jeff Jewitt's, altho I probably would just buy both if there is enough difference in the info. As the local book source does not usually have more than one copy at a time, and it can be a while before that gets replaced, if ever, I would like to get the other book while they have it (it took me over 6 months to catch Leonard Lee"s Sharpening book in stock).

Appreciate any insight

Go

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
I think they both have their merits. I own both, but I got the Flexner one first. I'd say keep what you have and check online sources to get a used or discounted copy of the Jewitt version.:icon_thum

I've also seen Jewitt's DVD about finishing ("Hand applied finishes") and it is an excellent companion to his book.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
I have Jewitt's and speak with him from time to time to get advice. I purchased an Asturo K1 conversion gun from him yesterday.

If you buy used from Amazon you may be able to pick up both books at a decent price.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
My recommendation is to get either Flexner's newest edition or Jewitt's Taunton Complete Illustrated Guide to Finishing. This is Jewitt's newest book and is the most up to date and comprehensive.

In fact, I suggest the a new finisher--and even experienced ones--should have both.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Thank you for the replies. I think the one I have is Bob Flexner's latest, and I will be going back to get the Jeff Jewitt Taunton one. I wasn't sure if they covered different material or different approaches to the same subject. It appears they do.
I'm an old slow novice woodworker, so I would hate to degrade a month's+ work due to really botching the final steps. With the costs of materials and the time investment, I figure the cost of good reference books to be a bargain.
Besides, I enjoy reading them. Its not like there is anything worth watching on the tube and it exercises the old brain after I have exhausted what the body is willing to give for the day.

Go

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Personally I like Flexner's book much better. I have both but since I got Flexner's I never look at Jewitt's. Looking at my work, maybe I should. Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS