Finishing Poplar

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
I have been making children's rockers using poplar for sometime. Most people want them unfinished or painted, usually forrest green or red. recently I had a request to stain one and poly it. I was timid at first but agreed to do it for my customer.

I used Minwax Red Mahogany to get the dark color she wanted for her granddaughter's rocker. Using great care, I gave it a try and... Viola!! it turned out beautiful. I only sanded to 150 grit and was careful to use only light poplar (no green). I thought about using a conditioner but opted not to do it. After staining I gave it 3 coats of satin poly and it really did well. The key was to choose only light poplar. Also using a dark stain was better.

I tried samples with golden oak and the color was pretty ugly.

Just thought I would pass this happy ending on t oanyone who might be interested.

:banana:

Last edited by a moderator:

stave

New User
stave
Re: Finishing Polar

Poplar takes red based stains better than any other color. Browns look dirty as do most yellows. It will also absorb stain like a sponge, learned that the hard way. First carving I ever threw away was poplar that I put walnut stain on...it turned so dark you could not see anything.

Glad your experience was a good one and I bet the mahogany stain looked great!

Stave

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Thanks Dave. It does take cherry well also.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
Finally corrected typo!!!!

Scott - I think I tried cherry on something poplar several years back and used a gel stain. If I remember correctly it was a tallish plant stand and it looked OK.

Since Minwax American Cherry is similar to the red Mahogany, I'll bet that would look great too!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Finally corrected typo!!!!

Scott - I think I tried cherry on something poplar several years back and used a gel stain. If I remember correctly it was a tallish plant stand and it looked OK.

Since Minwax American Cherry is similar to the red Mahogany, I'll bet that would look great too!

Dave, you need to EDIT / ADVANCED to change the Title, if that's what you were trying to do.

ehpoole

Ethan

Actually, I have had good luck with the Red Mahogany stain on mixed Poplar heart- and sapwood (white & green). Once stained you would be hard pressed to determine which was the green Poplar and which was white even when the two are side-by-side. The cabinet I've been (slowly) working on for the past year was sanded to 220-grit prior to staining and is a mix of Poplar and cheap BORG Birch plywood -- all of which blended together very nicely with the Red Mahogany stain.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
Thanks for that info. I have a two drawer shaker desk made from poplar (really nice poplar) with 5/4 desk top. It has some green heart wood but not bad. I originally was going to paint it but I think since reading your post I am going to go ahead with the red mahogany. After doing the rocker, I have more confidence; even more since you told me of your success.

I need to clear some space to finish it so it will be after I complete a few projects. When done, I will post a picture. I will post a before picture too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS