Finishing poplar signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave

New User
Dave
Hi all,

I've just finished making two signs for a resturant my family is opening. I've made them out of poplar and they will ultimately be painted, but since they'll be outdoors, I thought they might need more than just paint.

What would be the best way to ensure these will stand up against the elements?

Dave

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I don't think you can do better than a high quality primer/ paint. Any kind of clear coat on top of the paint is unlikely to last, and won't add any protection. Poplar is not a great wood for outdoors, but when sealed properly with paint, it should last a very long time.

dave

New User
Dave
Thanks Bas! The signs will be under an overhang, so I doubt they will ever get wet (except maybe when cleaned) and they'll never be in direct sunlight.

since you mention poplar not be good for outdoors, what is a good wood choice for outdoor signs?

Dave

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Any of the woods used for outdoor furniture would be good; cedar for example. Another pouluar sign material is MDO... if you can find it. As Bas said, the trick is a good exterior grade paint. And touch up that paint job at least once per year.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks Bas! The signs will be under an overhang, so I doubt they will ever get wet (except maybe when cleaned) and they'll never be in direct sunlight.

since you mention poplar not be good for outdoors, what is a good wood choice for outdoor signs?

Dave
The wood experts will chime in here, but besides MDO (medium density overlay = exterior plywood) and cedar Ray mentioned, there is white oak, cypress, teak, ipe and many others. Painted, out of direct sunlight and under an overhang...I think you'll be fine.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm not a wood expert. But, I used to be a sign expert. I still have signs out that were painted twenty to thirty years ago.

If you want it to last use an acrylic automotive paint. Lacquer primer and two to three coats of DuPont or Martin Senour.

http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/

I'm sure all the products are better than the stuff I was using thirty years ago. It can be brushed on with some reducer added to retard the drying. Brushing puts on a thicker film and avoids the overspray and air particle problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors