Finishing book ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
I am an avid reader and despite the wealth of information available here and elsewhere on the net I would like to get a good book on finishing. When I was building my shop I needed books on shop construction and electrical stuff. Later on I was looking for a book on cabinet construction. In all three of these instances it took a few purchases before I found "the one book" to suit my needs. With your help I hope to find the best book on finishing without buying several. Thanks. :wsmile:

Kicbak

New User
Wes
I second the Flexner book. It is a great book on finishing. After reading it a time or two I found out finishes are not as complicated as the product marketers makes it.

Wes

MikeL

New User
Michael
I have the Flexner and Jewitt books mentioned above and would highly recommend both of them to you. If I had to choose only one, it would be Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I would suggest a trip to the library first. They may have one or all of the books mentioned. Even my small county library has several books on finishing.

Most libraries will order a book if requested or they will try to borrow it from another library.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
The Flexner book has been the Bible for years and has just been revised. It's excellent.

All the Jewitt books are good but IMO, the best is his new one called Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Finishing. It is very comprehensive and covers both finishes and finishing.

Personally, I'd ask Santa for both.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Flexner's book answered every question I've ever had about finishing. I used to hate the finishing part of the project. Now I enjoy it...well, almost. But at least now I'm pretty confident I'll get the results I expect. Understanding Wood Finishing: How to Select and Apply the Right Finish by Bob Flexner

Volker

New User
Volker Bornemann
Love the Flexner book, as it gives also some technical explanations which made me " understand" the concepts behind different finishes and what the do and do not do. Anything by Jeff Jewitt is also highly recommendable, the two are quite complementary to each other. If you are serious about finishing, get both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS