Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Need a good finish for some cutting boards. Hopefully a oil of some kind. Also have another project that needs athin oil to get into small areas and then run offf so to speak. Can I dilute BLO with something?

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Use Mineral Oil for your cutting board if it is going to be used to prepare food on. Rub it on and let it dry. It make take a couple if applications. If it is used a lot and washed you may have to apply more mineral oil occasionally.

sawman

New User
Albert
After spending an hour in my highly organized shop, I found several articles on BLO.
It seems when you add mineral spirits to BLO it changes the effect of the driers (longer time to cure), as if a day between coats is not long enough.
I did find two artilces in FWW that made refernce to food safe finishes, tung oil (long drying time and really provides no protection for the wood), Waterlox Orinial Finish, Mineral Oil and linseed oil that does not include metallic driers. The other is Walnut Oil, supposed to be in the salad dressing aisle at your supermarket. The article says to apply 3 coats with two days drying time between each coat.

As to the other item, Watco/Danish oil finish would work well. I did my kitchen cabinents using it. I flooded the surface with the oil, kept and eye for dry spots (added more finish too them) and wiped it off. You need to check every 30 minutees or so to wipe off the areas that bleed to the surface.
Second coat was applied and rubbed with 320 wet/dry sandpaper and wiped down, check it for bleeding about once an hour. Let it dry several days and either apply another coat or apply some clear finish. I opted for a satin finish, I should say WE opted for the satin finish (you know how that is).
When you get them finished, I would like to see them.

Later,
sawman

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Thanks for reply I have some Watco on hand Love the stuff will post pic after thanks again:eusa_danc

M

McRabbet

I moved this to the Finishes Forum -- more likely to have some folks see it. BTW, H. Behlen make a very good finish for this use, appropriately called Salad Bowl Finish -- available through Klingspor's Woodworking Shop.

Rob

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I get Mineral Oil from the grocery store. Its sold in the first aid section.

Its sold as a, uhm, fiberly challenged remedy....

Works great on kitchen cutting boards, use it all the time.

Cheap too.

Jim

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I use the Salad Bowl Finish on most of my bowls as I done know what they will be used after the leave my shop. I have lacquered some that I know will or can not be used for food.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
The best treatment for a cutting board is a mineral oil and paraffin mixture. Get some mineral oil in your pharmacy--the paraffin is in most supermarkets and/or hardware stores. Heat the mineral oil in a double boiler and then shave in some paraffin. Aim for about 5-6 parts mineral oil to one part paraffin but the ratio is not critical. Melt the two together. Apply the mixture heavily and let it set overnight. Do it again the next day and continue until no more is absorbed. Then let it set one last 12 hour period. Lightly scrape off any excess and buff with a dry rag.

Re-treat whenever the board begins to look dry.

Never put it in the dishwasher and just damp wipe to clean. If you need to totally submerge it, do it only for a few moments, then rinse and wipe dry.

This is the treatment found on commercial cutting boards and butcher blocks. It's totally non-toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS