Finish on Poplar

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I'm thinking about getting some poplar slabs similar to this photo.

I really like the green colors.

When clear coating, would it maintain the color? Any suggestions on a finish to highlight the color tones?
Screenshot_20191104-205810_Facebook.jpg

zdorsch

Zach
Senior User
I use General Finishes polycrylic for a clear finish that doesn’t yellow. The wood will still naturally darken, but the different colors should remain.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I recently finished this table for my house. Though it is not poplar(red maple) it is finished with varnish over a super blonde shellac mix. It might darken a little but I have maple surfaces sealed top and bottom from 20 years back that are close to this if that's what you want.

I might add from your photo off the horizontal bandsaw it will darken some when it is dry. My comments above are addressing dry materials.

(earlier post on the table build)

1-Final day on table and chair 007.JPG

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I'm thinking about getting some poplar slabs similar to this photo.

I really like the green colors.

When clear coating, would it maintain the color? Any suggestions on a finish to highlight the color tones?
View attachment 190074
I have never had poplar to maintain that greenish tint over a long period of time. It has always turned to a honey brown as it ages.

Oka

Oka
Corporate Member
I am finishing up a bench made of poplar........ Mostly as it is the only piece of poplar I have (2x14). It has the same look as that table, but it is already brown.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS