Finish on Poplar

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I'm thinking about getting some poplar slabs similar to this photo.

I really like the green colors.

When clear coating, would it maintain the color? Any suggestions on a finish to highlight the color tones?
Screenshot_20191104-205810_Facebook.jpg

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I use General Finishes polycrylic for a clear finish that doesn’t yellow. The wood will still naturally darken, but the different colors should remain.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I recently finished this table for my house. Though it is not poplar(red maple) it is finished with varnish over a super blonde shellac mix. It might darken a little but I have maple surfaces sealed top and bottom from 20 years back that are close to this if that's what you want.

I might add from your photo off the horizontal bandsaw it will darken some when it is dry. My comments above are addressing dry materials.

(earlier post on the table build)

1-Final day on table and chair 007.JPG

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I'm thinking about getting some poplar slabs similar to this photo.

I really like the green colors.

When clear coating, would it maintain the color? Any suggestions on a finish to highlight the color tones?
View attachment 190074
I have never had poplar to maintain that greenish tint over a long period of time. It has always turned to a honey brown as it ages.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I am finishing up a bench made of poplar........ Mostly as it is the only piece of poplar I have (2x14). It has the same look as that table, but it is already brown.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Could you use dyes to replicate the colors and their placement then seal with shellac and top coat?
I know it is a lot of work, but I like the idea to keep the "real wood" colors...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS