Finish for Exposed Timbers/Decking

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamO

Update your profile with your name
User
I've got exposed Douglas Fir timbers and 2x6 decking in the house I'm building. I've debating what kind of finish to apply. The timbers aren't kiln dried, but the decking is. I'm going to try a 50/50 mix of Raw Linseed Oil and Turpentine (read about it in some timberframe literature) on some test pieces. I'm concerned that it may yellow over time, even if it looks good at first.

Do any of you guys have experience with how the Linseed Oil finish will hold up? Any other recommendations to try before I commit to something?

Thanks for the help,

Adam

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I have a timberframe home w/exposed posts and beams on the front porch and the back screened in porch. I would suggest you use Penofin oil for the exposed timbers. This stuff is formulated just for this purpose. See the following link. www.penofin.com

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I don't know a thing about this kind of stuff, but I can vouch that Dan's house looks absolutely AMAZING! If that's the stuff he used I wholeheartedly recommend it! :eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would second the Penofin recommendation. Caution strongly against the raw linseed oil, as it provides very little protection to the wood. And if the wood is going to be in a shaded environment the linseed oil will be a tasty lunch for algae and mold/mildew.
If the wood is going to be in a exposed location without much direct sunlight you might consider using a finish that contains a synthetic oil (epoxy resin) most oil finishes use BLO as a oil base and in the shade that will quickly turn green with algae. One stain/sealer that I recommend to my clients with decking in this scenario is DEFY - an epoxy based synthetic oil stain.
http://www.saversystems.com/epoxy.php
HTH,
Dave:)

AdamO

Update your profile with your name
User
Thanks for the responses. I probably should have clarified the location. The beams support the second floor of my house, and the 2X6 decking is the subfloor for the upstairs. It's all interior, exposed to the main level. I don't know if that changes your recommendations or not. I see that Penofin has interior finishes as well.

Thanks for the help,

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS