Finish for 100% acrylic latex paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

williams130

New User
Craig
I have made a small upstairs office in our house and now I'm in the final finishing stages. My question is in regard to the final finish for the bookcase and desks made of MDF, birch plywood, and poplar. Initially I applied a single coat of primer and have followed that with 8 coats of Behr 100% acrylic latex semi-gloss. (I think I only sanded between 2 or 3 coats.) I was getting ready to apply another coat of semi-gloss when I started thinking that this is getting crazy and that I need to seek some advice from someone more experienced. My wife says the current finish looks fine to her but I can see what appears to me to look like small streaks of light grey. It may be the light playing tricks on me or a sanded undercoat showing. I don't know but don't feel that I'm going to improve the looks by applying 8 more coats of paint. I've read articles on rubbing out poly finishes. Is there a similar technique for rubbing out an acrylic latex paint?

M

McRabbet

Craig, I don't think you need to add more coats -- 8 should be about 4 times more than you needed if you used a good quality paint over the primer coat. For painted surfaces like you mentioned, I normally use a good shellac-based primer (I like Zinsser BIN Primer-Sealer), let it dry 1-2 hours, sand if necessary and then apply a good quality latex enamel like the Behr you chose. Make sure you allow the finish coats to dry before sanding (usually not necessary) or adding a second coat. I think your eyes may be playing tricks on you as that many coats will certainly cover the primer.

By the way -- welcome to the site -- be sure to post an introduction in the "Who We Are" forum.

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Those streaks of gray that you are seeing, could be brush marks. Are you brushing on the paint, if so you might want to give that last coat a quick sanding to level any brush marks. Then apply a final coat with a foam roller, you can find them a Lowe's they have no nap and are indicated for a smooth finish.
If you've been appling the paint in another method, disregard my advice and open a window...the fumes could be getting to you and making you see streaks :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would love to see it when it is all finished :icon_thum :icon_thum

Dave:)

williams130

New User
Craig
Rob and Dave,

Thanks for you replies! I'm mulling the situation over and I still havent decided what to do. I did use a brush and I can see that there are brush marks....I think. I used KILZ 2 latex primer and a synthetic bristle brush. I'll try and get a good quality digital photo tonight when I get home and then I'd like to post it here for you guys to see. What do you think? I'm considering the No nap foam roller you mentioned. Also since my wife isn't complaining, (she's eager to move into her new scrapbooking room/office) I'm thinking of just moving on to the next project. "Get R Done!" :eusa_danc

dozer

Mike
Hi Craig, I think what you are seeing is what they call ghosting it usually only occurs when using a bright white paint that has any type of sheen to it. Using a no nap foam roller won't cover the ghosting the only thing that will is if you add another coat but it needs to be 1 or 2 shades darker. The ghosting comes from the pigment used to make the kilz and the latex the best way to explain it is that the pigment bases are butting heads. That is why a color a shade or two darker will hide it.

If you have any questions I would be glad to help you out I was a painter for a long time.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Craig, I think what you are seeing is what they call ghosting it usually only occurs when using a bright white paint that has any type of sheen to it. Using a no nap foam roller won't cover the ghosting the only thing that will is if you add another coat but it needs to be 1 or 2 shades darker. The ghosting comes from the pigment used to make the kilz and the latex the best way to explain it is that the pigment bases are butting heads. That is why a color a shade or two darker will hide it.

If you have any questions I would be glad to help you out I was a painter for a long time.

Mike,

That's really good info. I can always use some help in the finishing department.

I've used the foam rollers that Dave suggested and have had very good luck with them. I like to use them for the exterior doors of the houses I build b/c we use metal clad doors. Any other advice for a nice finish on such doors? Thanks

Ray

dozer

Mike
Ray I like to use a low nap roller for exterior doors I buy a 9" roller and cut it down to fit what is called a fat 3" roller because the 9" roller sleeves are cheaper. I add a product called flowtrol to the latex paint and roll the inside panels first being careful not to over lap onto the cross members. Then roll out the 3 cross members top, middle, bottom and then the 2 side members.

The flowtrol is nice because it gives you a longer wet edge time so you don't get such a bad over lap mark. I usually use a 1/4" or 5/16" nap roller sleeve, Also if you wash your roller sleeves before ever using them it will remove almost all of the lint. Or take some tape and wrap it around your hand sticky side out and pat down the roller sleeve this will remove the lint as well.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Mike,

Great stuff. thank you. I'll bring this to the next couple of houses. I've always had a bit of a challange with those exterior doors. This should help.

Ray

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Another trick that painters use to help white paint cover better is to get what's called in the trade "B2" paint. It's white paint with 2 drops of black per gallon. It's all but impossible to tell that the black is there unless it's right up next to something white (without the black drops). It covers much, much better. This is what we did for the trim throughout our house.

Travis

New User
Travis
Craig,

I think Dozer has it pegged. I went through this very same thing on my first piece two weeks ago. It drove me absolute nuts and I ended up thinnning paint, sanding, brushes, foam rollers, etc. After enough layers, sanding and painting I got acceptable results.

I am even considering buying an HVLV paint system to get around this but have to wait on the funds on the painter. Now I am at a delima I have two wall cabinets I just finished building and I want to paint them high gloss white like my other project but I am at in qundry of what to do.

:eusa_thin

dozer

Mike
Travis send me a pm with a phone number I can call you at on Saturday afternoon around 3pm or so and I will walk you through how to finish the cabinets you have left to do. After 20 years of being a painter I have a few simple ways you can try to get the results you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors