Finding sandpaper assortments for sharpening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hk538

New User
hk538
I noticed that there's a lot of places that sell packs of wet/dry sandpaper in one particular grit, but does anyone know where you can find a pack of assorted grits specifically for sharpening? Say, maybe 2-4 of each grit in a pack that ranges from 150-4000?
I don't do THAT much sharpening, but it sure would be nice to be able to buy an assortment pack of everything I need to go from course to very fine. Is this even available yet?

Any suggestions?

thanks a bunch

gator

George
Corporate Member
No help on the 'assortment' but I get mine at an auto part place (Auto Zone, NAPA, etc). Ususally just 2-5 sheets in a pack and not too pricey.

George

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I get mine at an auto paint supply store by the sheet. If they have the Japanese silicon carbide paper try some. It lasts a long time.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Klingspors! They have a kit just for that (in fact, I bought it a couple weeks ago). It comes with rolls of the papers you'll need and a free video. Pretty good deal!

Klingspor's Woodworking Shop,klingspor's,Klingspor's,woodworking,supplies,tools,proxxon,disc,sanding sleeves,sandpaper,belts
Search for product code: SS99000
ss99000_2.jpg

Web Store Item Detail Page

M

McRabbet

I bought an assorted pack of 3-M Imperial Wet/Dry Sandpaper (4 sheets; one each of P220, P400, P800 and P1000) at one of our three Advance Auto Parts stores in Hendersonville.

Rob

novice99

New User
Mike
ditto on the local Auto Parts store- check the body work aisle. Mine had 2 8x10 sheets each of 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 2000. That, a mirror, and a very old printout (on a dot matrix printer!) of the Scary Sharp guide and my chisels are worthy. I must confess that I have never looked at my edges under a microscope, though!:eusa_doh:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Another vote for Klingspor here :icon_thum
They have an excellent assortment of grits and a variety of sheet sizes. I purchased sheets that were 18-20" long . . . great to lay on jointer or tablesaw top for getting the long strokes needed to flatten the sole of a plane!

Roger

sapwood

New User
Roger
While you are looking at sharpening supplies check this Excel spreadsheet out:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=147

Useful info for comparing different abrasives related to one common micron measure. Courtesy of Christopher Schwartz and Popular Woodworking.

Thanks for the tip Mark :icon_thum That answers the question I had yesterday while sharpening chisels . . . moving from sandpaper to diamond stone to waterstone :drunken_s

Roger

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Just realized that link I posted was garbage ... so I've updated my earlier post with a good link and the product code. :icon_thum

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Although I can't find it on the website, I purchased such a variety pack of high grit wet/dry from harbor freight a while back. I haven't used it yet, and I don't recall the exact price but it was cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS