FINALLY finished the bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
Took me about a year to complete but also built a spring pole lathe, saw horses and a steam box along the way. Learned a lot. I will think twice before rejecting the idea to carve so much barley twist. Not sure my hands will recover. Once again no power tools used. (though I didn't cut the tree down and mill the lumber). Mahogany finished with trans tint dye, dewaxed shellac, gel stain and then a one lbs cut of seedlac shellac. Followed by dark briwax. Learned a bunch but don't think I will ever have the patience to make two of anything. I need to make 3 pieces my kids can fight over. A grandmother clock is on the list but dont know what #3 is. Thanks for your patience with all of my posts during this period. Glad its finally complete. PS Used many of my grandfathers tools. Although I dont like the "2010" part of the stamp those are his stamps so I was happy to use them. :eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1
DSC_0818.JPG

View image in gallery

EricS

Eric
Senior User
John, The bed is beautiful!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum The fact that it was all done with hand tools makes me appreciate the quality of craftsmanship one can put out with patience. Great job.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
That turned out AWESOME !!!! Great Job, I love to see great craftsmanship and it's there. Looking forward to seeing your next project.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I knew this thread would hold something fantastic ... and it DOES! AWESOME. Looks beautiful and a sign of a real craftsman. I love the makers mark too!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
John, it is absolutely beautiful. And yes, the 2010 seems modern today, but remember, in 100 years, it'll be an antique! :rolf: It's elegant without being ostentatious, and will fit pretty much any bedroom, so it's a pretty safe bet this bed will still be in use by the time you and I are long gone.

magellan44

New User
magellan44
That is beautful, I'm not a carver so I can't imagine what it takes to keep the posts symmetrical. I know that's got to be difficult. Very nice.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
The piece is beautiful, the hand carved details are unique. The joinery is very good.

The careful attention to final shaping, scraping, sanding is apparent. The finish schedule you followed and the resultant look really sets the piece on a different level. I hope you smile every time you look at it. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
John,

Sensational results!!! I'm glad that I got to see it in progress during the shop crawl. Do you have any more WIP photos that we've not seen?

Bob

stave

New User
stave
Really outstanding work and I do mean outstanding! I have carved twists before and to carve 4 that match...well that is patience and skill. Bet those hands did get a work out. Someone has a real family heirloom there. Everything you put into it shows and will only get better with time.

Stave

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
That sir is an amazing bed there.Thanks for the wip photos and I am still going to borrow your pierced candle stick design if it's OK.Tony

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
This is a great piece of work - many different skills orchestrated to make a masterpiece.

I'm curious about how you created your signature, is it burned in, stamped, free-handed?

David

4yanks

New User
Willie
It's difficult to express in words how impressed I am. Masterpiece is as good as I can do. Congratulations.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
That is incredible. I took Roy's seminar on the foot powered lathes last week. It's great that you can use it to create something so great. If I ever get any real shop space I may have to build it.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
John,

I am truly grateful for having the oppurtunity to share in this experience. Having seen your shop with the spring pole lathe, the steam bender, etc...

And the beautiful results with your poster bed!

Absolutely awesome! Both humbled and inspired!

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

:notworthy::notworthy:

Thanks again!

matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS