Filling knot holes in knotty pine

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use to fill holes in knotty pine? I can pick around and sellect areas of the boards that don't have the holes but thought if I could find something that would fill the holes and look nice I would do that. Waste not want not you know? I am looking at the side panels of an upper and lower kitchen hutch.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
durhams rock putty works as does wood filler or epoxy but it really depends on what finish you are going to do. if painted bondo works real well. If staining be carefull what you use because stain dont stick to most fillers. sawdust and glue work also.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
You know what I think I am going to do? I am going to rip the boards and remove the hole and add another piece of wood. It will be getting a natural clear stain to match an existing kitchen. Thanks for the thoughts.

Glennbear

Glenn
FWIW I too have used Durham's like Fred mentioned and a mixture of ground coffee and epoxy can mimic a knot fairly well. :wsmile:

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Final decision is to take the two shelves that I glued up and swap them out for the sides. The sides which have the holes will be used for the shelves. This will make the cabinet 1" shorter in width than I had planned but I think that will work best. Thanks guys. Where do I purchase Durhams Rock Putty? I find the ground coffee and epoxy very interesting, I might just give that a try.

Glennbear

Glenn
Final decision is to take the two shelves that I glued up and swap them out for the sides. The sides which have the holes will be used for the shelves. This will make the cabinet 1" shorter in width than I had planned but I think that will work best. Thanks guys. Where do I purchase Durhams Rock Putty?

BORG's sell it last I checked but be aware it is quite hard and resistant to stains when cured. :wsmile:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Two part epoxy works well for filling holes. If the holes are shallow, just mix and apply. If they are deeper, it helps to add a filler to the epoxy, it bonds better. The easiest way is to use a dark filler, and make the knots appear black. Coffee grounds work very well for this. I use about 5 parts epoxy to 2 part coffee grounds, but it's very forgiving ratio.

Harbor Freight sells very small tubes of 2 part epoxy/ hardener for about $1. Per ounce, you can get better deals if you buy larger containers, but with the small tubes you can mix and toss.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I have enough wood to avoid the holes if I work at it. I am going to also try the coffee and epoxy mixture just to see if I like it. This cabinet will get a clear stain where it can age and someday match her existing cabinets. I got the pine at a good price so I can't complain. Feels good to get back into the shop. It has been a long cold winter. Thanks everyone for the help.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Like Bas mentioned in his post above. I guess I'm a big advocate of using 2 part clear epoxy to stabilize knots in pine. When there are missing knots, I put a piece of blue table on the back side and mix in a little sanding dust from the same species or different species. Black walnut dust will make a chocolate color, eastern red cedar will make a red color, red oak will make a golden color, etc... Like Bas said it's a very forgiving ratio. It's a pretty easy cheap fix. Besides once the epoxy is dry I just throw the board through the planer to minimize sanding the epoxy.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
The cabinet is coming along well with one inside shelf having 4 holes that are on the bottom and out of the way. I will be experimenting with the epoxy and coffee grounds as I continue this hutch. Thanks for the help, I have learned a lot. I need epoxy on the shelf for future use.

blbradford

New User
Bruce
Careful though- because the knot hole can be all the way through the wood. This makes for a bottomless pit when filling with epoxy unless you tape the other side with some packing tape.

:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors