Figured Cherry Bedside Table (Real Photo Shoot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, I just got my strobes for my garage photo studio and had to fire them up. I bougth a set of Alien Bee's strobs, back drop, backdrop holder, and some modifiers. It was time to step up my photos a notch. :)

I processed a few images and threw them up in my gallery, but I'll go ahead and link a few.

Give me some critiques. How am I doing for my first real photo shoot. I think I got the lighting mix right so I didn't get any crazy shados, but had the entire peice illuminated. I'm offering photo services to any NCwwer members who want to get some good photos of their peices. All you have to do is bring your peice by. I plan on a camera upgrade very soon as well.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

Monty

New User
Monty
That setup does a nice job showing the figure in that wood. I have looked at the Alien Bees stuff before.... maybe one day.

woodguy1975

New User
John
That setup does a nice job showing the figure in that wood. I have looked at the Alien Bees stuff before.... maybe one day.

What is your normal response........ Oh yeah, Now you have an Alien Bees setup!!!!!!!!!! Kinda like you now have 16" jointing capacity.:rolf::rolf::rolf:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
John, I'll have to say that those pictures are beginning to do that table some justice. The angled shot of the whole table is the best IMHO, you should enter it into the Calender contest....of course that would probably bump me out :lol:
I would be very interested in seeing how you have your photo "booth" set up, the right equipment makes all the difference...I would love to see what that look like:-D
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

John, let me be the first to try to answer your original question. First, you need to get all of the creases out of the backdrop material as they become a real distraction (I'm not sure what the material is, but perhaps just putting in your dryer on a low speed and temp setting like Perm Press). Second, I would suggest using two different angles relative to the camera in shots like the first one -- looks like you did two 45's -- I'd suggest 45 on one side and 30 on the other. Third, the Drawer-on-top picture shows the dovetails beautifully, but no light on the left side detracts a little -- use a low light setting to fill in that side and the result would be better.

All-in-all, much, much better than your earlier pictures.

Rob

woodguy1975

New User
John
John, let me be the first to try to answer your original question. First, you need to get all of the creases out of the backdrop material as they become a real distraction (I'm not sure what the material is, but perhaps just putting in your dryer on a low speed and temp setting like Perm Press). Second, I would suggest using two different angles relative to the camera in shots like the first one -- looks like you did two 45's -- I'd suggest 45 on one side and 30 on the other. Third, the Drawer-on-top picture shows the dovetails beautifully, but no light on the left side detracts a little -- use a low light setting to fill in that side and the result would be better.

All-in-all, much, much better than your earlier pictures.

Rob

The backdrop is a handpainted professional backdrop. I'm still working the creases out of it. I need to take an iron to it. After that they tell you to ball it up and let the wrinkles soften the material. Can't do any machine type of operation on it. For what it costs I'm not doing anything risky to it. :D.

Good info on the lighting. I'd agree on the drawer. I backed down the soft box strobe too much. Strobe photo work will take some learning.

Thanks,

John

woodguy1975

New User
John

Here you are Dave. I have two AB 400s. One has a relfective umbrella and the other has a shoot through umbrella. I have a backdrop holder and of course the 10'x20' backdrop. Sorry about the shadow. My popup flash won't clear my 82mm filter on my Sigma lens.

I pull the car out and setup my camera on a tripod. The peice for the pics above was about 6' in front of the back. Most pics were shot around 60mm focal length with a 9 or 10 F stop.

Last edited:

clowman

Clay Lowman
Nice pics John, the table ain't too bad either. Seriously, I saw this table briefly at a recent class in WGs shop. It wasn't rubbed out when I saw it, and I was completely amazed at it. Nice job. If I ever get my chessmen completed, I'd like to sign up for a chessboard/chessmen photo shoot.

sapwood

New User
Roger
John, you've raised the bar again :icon_thum
And the figure in the table is striking. :)
Can't offer any advice on the photo setup, but if you need a bit more reflective glare my bald pate is always available :mrgreen:

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors