Feedback on Harbor Freight Jointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
I was given a "New in the box" 6" jointer by a friend as a thank you for helping him with some work. It is one of the Central Machinery jointers sold by Harbour Freight for $289.00.
I'm looking for tips and pointer from any problems these units may have.
I did assemble the unit and after getting through the cryptic Chineese instructions, the unit actually worked.
I was surprised with the finish and alignment of the beds.
They were level and true without any adjustment.
I will have to order new cranks to replace the plastic ones and a better blade guard.
Any known pitfalls with these units?
thanks,
yellofins aka ron

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't think that there is any "pitfalls" with any free tools. Nice stealth gloat BTW. The only problem I see with the HF jointer is the end mounted fence. I had an old 4" Shopsmith jointer that's fence mounted at the end of the infeed table, I got a lot of deflection at the blade end. But the HF may be made more stout, then you wouldn't have any problems.
My .02, Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Nice score Ron.:icon_thum Its great to get gifts like that in exchange for work even if nothing was expected. Having never owned a HF jointer I can't offer you any advice...........other than You Suck!:lol:

D L

gator

George
Corporate Member
DaveO said:
I don't think that there is any "pitfalls" with any free tools. Nice stealth gloat BTW. The only problem I see with the HF jointer is the end mounted fence. I had an old 4" Shopsmith jointer that's fence mounted at the end of the infeed table, I got a lot of deflection at the blade end. But the HF may be made more stout, then you wouldn't have any problems.
My .02, Dave:)

I have often heard that comment. I really wonder if it is really a problem. When you use a hand plane, you generally skew it to cut at an angle, one of the ways to reduce snipe on a planer is to feed the board at an angle (skewed). If this is true, then skewing the board across the jointer knives is good. The end mounted fence that deflects a little just helps the process. As long as the fence remains vertical to the bed, the deflection may be a good thing.

George

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
The end mounted fence seems to be solid.
I use my setup squares to check square down the lenth of the fence and it is perfect.
I cannot deflect it by pushing on it so I hope I never have to force a board hard enough to flex it.
I have found better blades for it when these get dull. It uses a standard size knife.
I'm jointing a bunch of rubberwood tomorrow so I'll have a better idea of how it works.
I'm just worried that this gift will turn out like the time share that was given to me.

Thanks,
Ron

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
what model jointer is it from harbor freight? Also, no pics, it didn't happen!!! :slap: I will reserve my congratulations for when a picture of said jointer pops up on my screen :eusa_danc

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You will deflect it. I have no doubt about that. I have an 8" Delta DJ-20 and I can deflect it with 8/4 boards. IMO, it is because the fence is not braced the entire length. Isn't a big deal, but it is something to be aware of.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
"If a jointer is received as a gift and there's no pics, does it make a gloat?"

Good philosophical question to ponder. :)

Nice stealth pre-gloat for sure!

Chuck

BTW let me know if your friend needs some help next weekend. Does he have a new router? :lol:

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
can I get my You Suck reinstated now.......

Attachments

• Jointer1.jpg
    Jointer1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 267
J

jeff...

wow looks like you got a case of tool envy going on. Did I mention
YOU REALLY SUCK!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
McRabbet said:
...sadly, my Duke Blue Devil men lost, but maybe the Duke women will win the NCAA Ladies Tournament!

had been waiting for that for a day and a half, now.....

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hmm, free tools :cool:

Considering depreciation, you'll have to pay someone if you decide to sell it:lol:

:crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2:I want a jointer!
Sapwood

M

McRabbet

NCPete said:
had been waiting for that for a day and a half, now.....
I'm sure you noticed the red tear in the Blue Devil's eye before I went back to my Great Pyrenees avatar (my dog Badger was starting to complain that he wasn't getting enough web time)!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS