Fee based training ads on site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
There's a post offering a class for making cutting boards that has drawn comment from the mods:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37346

The mods thread:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37347

My tentative BoD statement regarding this:

As an educational site for all things woodworking, we make the site available to members to advertise their offers to hold training events at no charge for the advertisement. However, we value our DQ qualified members and as such require that discounts be made to them.
It is customarily 10% and the ad or post need only say: DQ discount applies.
Thank you,
BoD

This should have the effect of increasing DQ level of site participationas well; hopefully.

Whatcha' think?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree in principle. I do have a few comments:

- I would like to see these posted in a separate and dedicated forum.

- I am not sure we should dictate the percentage

- If a paid class does the class organizer need to provide proof of insurance?

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Allow me to think out loud?

I can see an educational opportunity being promoted on this site.
Something within me does not like seeing profit from/on this site, more-so since we are now a non-profit entity - unless the person profiting pays to advertise like any of our supporting businesses.
I don't begrudge anyone recouping their expenses.

Would such ventures evolve into an "I'll tell you for a fee" attitude on the site?
Would not an instructor accept responsibility and potential liability for the information they pass along? When I teach I am covered under a large umbrella policy for errors and omissions etc.
If we allow free contacts, advertisements, subtle permission, ie. tacit endorsement - are we incurring a culpable role?
At what point does a member become eligible to be paid for their knowledge sharing?

Would it be okay if "Doug" wanted to pm every member and offer to set them up with a shop consultation or work out regiment or presidential visit for a nominal fee?

Got to digest this a while. I'm also open but I might have a few questions and reservations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors