Favorite YouTube Woodworker?

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
For period furniture you can't beat David Boeff out of Ohio. Also Doucette and Wolfe furniture makers. They do museum quality work with hand tools. Unbelievable what Doucette does with hand planes.
David Turner

HeyDawson

New User
Chris
I don’t think I can add to the list, but I can see my YouTube subscriptions list growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
April Wilkerson is one of the worst for sponsors. I guess she was in the right place at the right time.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I was surprised to see this many responses without a mention of Rob Cosman.
I enjoy William Ng's presentations. I wish there was more from him.
Mike Pekovich (Fine Woodworking) has a handful of excellent videos, e.g. Go-To Work Holding Jigs.
Paul Sellers' multi-part Wall Clock series is a compendium on hand tool woodworking, layout and general discipline.

On the other side of things, Scott Phillips' American Woodshop (PBS) is, in my view, a train wreck. I must be in a minority though. He's been on for decades.

The better YouTube content certainly makes it easier for today's beginners to get started. Us old-timey guys had to walk to school in the snow and read how-to books and magazines by candlelight.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I like learning from printed material better, I think I learn better from it, than youtubes. But there is so much material so readily available on-line that I use it a lot.

I plan to buy April Wilkerson's dining table plans but I have to admit that I don't learn much about woodworking from her channel. She is entertaining.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For those into harvesting your own green lumber, the 17 episode BC Faller series has a lot of good information on felling, bucking and limbing trees (using chainsaws). One thing of note from this series is that this is a training series for professional lumberjacks. As such, it uses a different notching technique to preserve the most wood on the butt portion of the log. Lots of good info on chain saw safety, as well as safely dropping trees and safely bucking them into logs in less than optimal situations.

Although I have dropped a lot of trees over the years, my chainsaws sometime now sit for months between uses, coming out mainly to clean up storm damage. These videos are a great refresher on the things to watch out for to get the work done without injury to yourself or others. With the storms we have had lately, might be a good time to "brush" up on the subject.

Last edited:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
This one is also more on the entertainment but I sometimes watch buckin Billy Ray Smith drop trees. He does some good instruction occasionally but mixes in banging on drums and other unrelated content. He once dropped four trees at the same time using one very close to a house to knock down a bridging tree to take out two large maples that were leaning towards the house. He knotched the houses further from the house and then dropped the big one next to the house causing it to fall into the bridging tree which fell into the maples. Nothing touched the house. He knows how to take down trees.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I like to watch Nick Zammbetti and Zac Higgins. Nick does alot of different things using wood, resin and different other things. Zac uses mostly wood and resins

Jay Kepley

New User
Jay
I agree as well. I've unsubscribed from many channels because the content creator is now not much more than a sales person. In the EU, a content creator must disclose if he or she is being paid by a company represented in the video. It should be the same here in the US. I understand these folks need to make a living, but I don't like at all seeing and hearing what really amounts to a sales pitch.

My favorite YouTube guy is Mike Farrington.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Speaking of fb people...at AAW this past weekend was Carl Jacobson, Tim Yoder, Rebecca Degroot, Sam Angelo, James Hamilton (aka Stumpy Nubs), and many others that slip my mind at the moment. There were also many of our known suppliers like Ken Rizza (the CBN Wheel distributor), and so on. It was a terrific show!

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Glad to see Doucette and Wolfe get some love. They use the most beautiful domestic wood imaginable.

Rob Cosman is good but OCD. lol

Matt Cremona and Matt Estlea are young guys .

If you want to learn hand tool skills, Paul sellers and Bob Rosaieski are hard to beat

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS