fall gathering in the mountains....

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Well I'm planning on coming - So I guess it'll be a party for three :thumbs_up I usually hit the logging / sawmill shows but not Klingspor or woodcraft events - as a matter of fact - I've never even stepped foot inside one of those stores... I know I'm bad aren't I?

Thanks

cskipper

Cathy
Well I'm planning on coming - So I guess it'll be a party for three :thumbs_up I usually hit the logging / sawmill shows but not Klingspor or woodcraft events - as a matter of fact - I've never even stepped foot inside one of those stores... I know I'm bad aren't I?

Thanks

Shame on me - but any chance you mght have some QS sycamore with you?

J

jeff...

Shame on me - but any chance you mght have some QS sycamore with you?

humm... I will surely keep an eye out for a good sized Sycamore log to QS. I flat sawed a little 16"er last weekend and I was thinking I might use that one for flooring in a walk in closet after I tear out the carpeting since it's flat sawed.

Thanks

tmerrill

New User
Tim
I'm still in and looking forward to it.

The times I've attended the Klingspor event it seemed to be the last full weekend in October.

Perhaps someone could ask their Kiingspor contacts so we can plan accordingly.

M

McRabbet

The Klingspor event has always been the last weekend of the month of October and probably won't change (that would make it October 25th and 26th) -- I sent a PM to Andrew this morning that I'd contact Klingspor to find out so his plans can proceed. We'll get this sorted out so we can have both events!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm sorry everyone, last week was hetic for me and I forgot about this. I have confimed with Coleman that the Klingspor event is Friday & Saturday 10/24 & 10/25.

So at least for me that is not a conflict. The weekend of the 11 & 12 is perfect for me.

As to Saturday or Sunday, either is fine with me. Past history of the Spring picnic says that Sat usually works best. However, what even works out better is to pick the day and just go with it.:thumbs_up

Last edited:

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Count wife and me in. Have made reservation for Saturday nite, So Saturday or Sunday will be alright with us.:icon_thum

Danny

cskipper

Cathy
:eusa_clap:eusa_clapTerrific - we can do both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Count us in for 2 at both the Extravaganze and the "gathering".

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
My wife & I will be there. But please just pick the date. I promise things will go smoother for you.:gar-Bi

DavidF

New User
David
Pig Pickin'
Saturday October 11th or Sunday the 12th.
If you can give me a rough idea of interest as soon as possible it would be great.
Would love to see as many as possible show up.

Motels-
Quality Inn 828-684-6688 Long Shoals Road at I-26 closest one.
(fairly nice place from the times I 've been to calls there.)

Airport Road I-26 One exit South (6 miles)
Comfort Inn - 828-687-9199
Holiday Inn - 828-684-1213
EconoLodge- 828-684-1200
Hampton Inn - 687-0806

Brevard Road I-26 One exit North (4 miles)
Super 8 - 828-670-8800
Hampton Inn - 828-667-2022
Fairfield Inn - 828-665-4242

I can vouch for the Days Inn on Tunnel road in Asheville. Just stayed there, great B'Fast and Pet friendly too!!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Thanks Mr. Steve, consider it done. Based on comments so far -

October 11th, 2008
Saturday, we're going to have a Pig Pickin'!!

Just outside of Asheville in Buncombe County.
Hope to see as many of you there as can make it.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Andrew,
could you post the address and or some mapping info.We would like to see where we are going to be so we can plan a little site-seeing for the weekend.Thanx

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
the easy directions to the facility are I-26 to exit 37 - Long Shoals Road/NC 146. Turn onto Long Shoals, turn onto Clayton Road. The site is on Clayton Road. It will be marked well and I'll send out more information as needed - Once I get a few distances confirmed.
The exit is 3 miles from the Asheville Airport exit, and 6 miles from I-40. Take I-40 to I-26 east.
There is most anything available in the area one might need.
The sites of interest are as varied as your interests.

In the area are some interesting places to visit
- Blue Ridge Parkway
Click here: Virtual Blue Ridge Parkway Guide
- NC Folk Art Center
Click here: Blue Ridge - Folk Art Center
- NC Arboretum
Click here: The North Carolina Arboretum
- WNC Nature Center ( a small zoo of native animals)
Click here: Western North Carolina Nature Center, Red Wolf Breeding Program, Animals in Natural Habitats
- Biltmore House and Gardens
Click here: Visit Biltmore - Biltmore House

Any specific questions or requests, please ask and I'll be happy to see how we can help!
If we can't find it we'll find out who can.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
To answer a couple of questions I've been remiss on ( and just re-read)

Pets are not prohibited at the facility. Buncombe County has a leash law. As long as no one objects this ought not be a problem.

There are fish in the French Broad. Catfish, musky, smallmouth, trout, bluegill to name a few I've caught. I have and will eat fish out of the river. There are lots of places I'll fish but not eat what I catch. Some areas seem better for some species of course.

I'm working on some pictures of the facility.
There is a fairly large piece of property with plenty of parking.
We have a fenced playground for little ones. Volleyball and basketball areas.
Lots of area outside.
A nice covered building with room to dine inside and plenty of outside room. A decent sized 'patio' on the water. Clean bathroom facilities.
Pictures to come.

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Looks like Rita and I will try and make it too. Be a good day to see some leaves change.
dick

sapwood

New User
Roger
Sounds like a terrific venue, Andrew.
But I'll have to miss this one. I'll be at OBX playing volleyball and fishing that week :mrgreen:

Roger

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Thats just around the corner for me just name the time and Ill be there. As I am new to the group I am looking forward to meeting some of you. Thanks Mark:rotflm:

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Andrew ; We need a name, address and directions from I 40 for the facility so we can find it.
dick

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
The facility is the Asheville Frefighter's Camp located on Clayton Road, in Arden, NC.
It is pretty easy to find.

Easiest way to get there is from I-26. If coming from I-40, I-40 exit 46 is the intersection of I-26. Take I-26 east from I-40 to exit 37, this is 6 miles from I-40.
Turn onto NC 146 (Long Shoals Road), cross the French Broad River, its visible from the ramp. At the end of both off-ramps are traffic lights. Turn right onto NC 146 if coming from I-26 east, turn left if coming from I-26 west.

The first right off NC 146 (Long Shoals) from the interstate is Clayton Road- 1 mile from the interstate. 1 mile down Clayton Road turn right into the entrance of the fireman's camp. Drive a couple of hundred yards down the gravel road past the caretaker's house and to the camp.
There is a sign and we intend to have some balloons or something bright to catch your eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors