Face shields/protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
From time to time the topic has come up but I think its worth revisiting. I also know that things change.
What do YOU use to protect yourself when you turn?
Eyes, Face, Respiratory, Hearing, etc.
If you have something like a powered system (trend etc) what else do you use it for? How does it work with hearing protection? Is it loud itself?

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I use a standard face shield when roughing. I use a paper mask most of the time. I really, really want the new Trend Airshield. We need a good review on the Trend Pro model... Jeremy, Tom?

bluthart

New User
Brian
I use safety glasses and a respirator if working with dry stock, or if sanding. I use hearing protection (soft ear plugs) doing anything else.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Depends on what I'm turning ....

Pens ... just safety glasses.
Roughing out a bowl ... full face shield w/ safety glasses underneath, but no dust protection
Finish out a bowl & sanding ... Trend Airshield Pro with dust filtration turned on.

reprosser

New User
Rick
I use the Trend Airshield Pro (2-3 months). I am happy with the way it works (but it is overpriced IMHO).

Noise: I can hear the fan running, but it is not load enough to be a bother. I can hear the radio or someone talking with it running.

Comfort: The headband is adjustable - there is a knob at the back that you turn to fit, then push in to lock. Unfortunately, I pick up the shield by the headband and sometimes pull the knob loose and have to re-fit. I have not found the "sweet spot" yet, so I re-tension the headband every couple of hours for comfort. I notice some neck strain after 3-4 hours of continuous wear, but not a bother if I take a break every now and then to take it off and rest my neck.

Usefulness: No fogging of shield (with the fan on), no problems with dust (wood or grinder) since I started using it. I have not had to change the filters or battery yet.

Issues: The only issue I have so far, is that the lower part of the shield that is made of some material to "seal" around the chin - does not clear my face when I raise the shield. It seems to hang right in front of my eyes. So, I have to take the shield off completely to see around it. Small price to pay...

I highly recommend this if you can afford it.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
BTW ... if you buy a Trent Airshield Pro look no further than Klingspor. They have the best price around ($330, I believe) plus a 10% NCWW discount if you qualify. I don't think they sell it online, you'll have to go to a store directly.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Looks like a pretty safety conscious effort so far. I'm impressed!

I have fairly decent quality dust masks but I still get the notorious nostril nuggets although not as bad. I have noted a decline over the past years in my lung capacity. We have pretty thorough physicals at work and spirometry (lung function) is a part of it. I' looked at the past several years and think I'm seeing a trend. Some decline is expected with age, some due to the job (fire chemicals etc). At 50 I'm finding more and more that things bother me that never used to- at least as much.

I'm turning and wood working more and I can't afford NOT to start taking more precautions. I'm just getting sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.
I've stocked hearing protection through the shop. Got dust masks around. I wear glasses that are safety rated.
Nice review reprosser!
Jeremy thanks for the price and discount info. This is a bullet I'm going to have to bite. I was surprised we didn't see more safety equipment at the Klingspor show in Hickory - or did we just miss it?
Trend, and I know there is another similar one (can't remember the name), maybe more. One has battery in the helmet on on the belt it seems. Any other users willing care to throw in your opinion?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
For pen turning, I just use safety glasses (magnifiers) and keep an old Ridgid jobsite air filter running behind the lathe to induce a draft on the dust. Haven't done any larger stuff yet.
I have sleep apnea & have been using a BiPap machine for some years now. I recently lost about 30 lbs. & it has made a difference in my sleep quality. If I can get the doctors to go along, I'll retire that lil' gadget and take it to the shop with me (if they don't want it back). It should make an excellent breathing apparatus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS