Face Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
A question for the dedicated wood turners.

Are you using a face shield? What are the pros and cons of it? What shield or type of shield would you recommend?

I have registered to take a woodturning course at John C Campbell folk school in June 2008. The course will touch on a lot of areas including sharpening, bowls, vessels, spindles----------------really looking forward to it. Face protection is one of the things suggested to bring.

I wear glasses but still get slapped in the face occasionally. A full face shield has been on my "need" list for a while. Just curious as to what our members use-----if anything:rolf:.

I have done a little browsing and the quality/prices go from here to there:eusa_doh:. The cheapest is not aleays the best buy and the top of the line is not always needed. I AM OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS.

Jerry

jglord

New User
John
According to Allen Leland (he may be your instructor at John C. Campbell) this face shield is the one he likes. It is from Packard Woodworks

When I took some lessons from Allen, he recommended using a face for roughing out.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Jerry,
I use this one
Uvex_Bionic_S8500.jpg
http://www.nationalsafetysupply.com/productDisplay.cfm?categoryIndex=4807

It is the clearest one I've ever used in a lab or the shop. I only use it when roughing my square blocks. It's saved me a bunch of splintered chunks to the face.
Rob

Threejs

New User
David
I have one of these face shields
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3705

It as paid for itself many times over. I always wear a resperator underneath it. 1. Because turning dry wood makes alot of dust. 2. The resperator will help slow down objects flying at my nose, by helping to support the face shield.

When you get a shield, you will be amazed at the amount of dust turning can create, and will want to take steps to cut down on it.

4yanks

New User
Willie
Jerry,

I use the one from Woodcraft that others have posted. I got it because it was cheap and I was low on money at the time. My thinking was that eventually I would replace it with something better. However, I have found that it does just fine for what I need. I only wear it when roughing out cylinders from square or riven stock. After that I switch to glasses (just because I don't like the smell of my own breath). Good luck and have fun in the course.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I just bought the $ 22 dollar one at Woodcraft. After trying my hand more at pens this weekend and splintering a few I really saw the value in it.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I use the one from Woodcraft. I've had a piece of wood hit the shield and I know it would have left a mark if I only had glasses on. I wear it the entire time I'm turning. Once I'm at the finishing stage I'll take it off.

I had a piece of Amboyna burl explode on the lathe and I'l thankful I had the shield on. Pieces went everywhere!

HTH,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS