Ever heard of a Reliant Lathe Model DD70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I saw a Reliant DD70 Lathe at a yard sale today. I have been unable to find out anything about it other than the company(Trend-Lines) filed for bankruptcy a few years back.
I know nothing about lathes but am thinking about getting one to see if I like turning, before I spring for a "better" lathe. This one is mounted on a homemade mobile stand. The price of $175.00 includes 8 Buck turning tools which look to be in great condition. Other specs: 20" between centers, Max turning diameter 9.5", 1/2 H.P. motor, 4 speeds.

Anyone have any idea if this is a good buy or should I pass?

Thanks in advance for any help.....

Take care,

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
that price seems pretty steep you can buy a comparable lathe new from harbor freight for not much more.

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
If you decided on a mini lathe to start out with suggest you buy new. Ability to get parts and repairs worth the extra expense. If you decide to buy bigger later on you’ll have something with some resale value, or something you want to keep.

My second lathe is a basic Jet mini, without variable speed or indexing. This model may be discontinued, but can still get parts. Every now and again see this model listed for $199.00 so really not sure what’s up with this model.

Pretty sure you can buy a HF or Grizzly mini for less than $175.00 new.

On a mini you definitely want a lathe to have a spindle with 1” x 8 TPI, head & tail stock with Morse Taper #2. (MT2) This set up will has a whole array of optional equipment available. Two of the most popular mini lathes on the market now: Rikon mini runs about $250 and Jet mini depending upon model run $250 to $330. You can check both of them out at Woodcraft.

Grizzly has a new 10” mini lathe G0624, that sells for $225.

While am partial to the Jet Mini Lathes for quality, reliability, and resale value. Either the Rikon or Grizzly may meet your needs as well.

If decide want a bigger lathe look at the $199. HP lathe, think it's 12" x 36", which is very popular a first lathe for many folks. Can also pick up a set of turning tools for $39 or $45 dollars too

psufaninnc

New User
winston
There was a chain of stores in Pennsylvannia and Ohio called Woodworkers Warehouse. They were part of Trendlines, they were very nice stores. Very well equipped with everything Klingspor would have and then some. Reliant was there house brand. I knew people that had some Reliant machinery, never heard a complaint. I know this doesn't help with asking price, but as to quality of the machinery, I think it is solid.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I will pass on this one and see about getting on the list for Steve's goodwill lathe:eusa_clap.
Take care,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS