Ever Been in a Rut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Well the post Gofor had about the 3.5 got me thinking, I have been in a rut for a while now in my personal woodworking and have not designed/built anything substantial for a while now. Have any fellow WW fell into this rut? Any good projects that you know of that made you push the envelope? Just thinking to myself at 4:47AM while on duty.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Michael, pick a project that is above your skill level or involves something that you want to learn. Challenge yourself to learn something new.
Make something entirely with handtools, work with some highly figured wood that will provide a good challenge, try a new method of joinery, make it small and precise paying attention to the most minute details.

I've never got into a rut because there is so much that I still want to try and learn. The day I stop learning something new is the day that they are closing my casket.
Dave:)

cskipper

Cathy
I, too, am in a rut. Like Dave, I have a bunch of things to work on, but I don't do well with multiple choices - so I do nothing. I guess I have to pay more attention to my signature line, huh?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I get there occassionally. Seems I have to get started on a project and then I get going.

Seems to remind me of what I read about depression. You get depressed, don't do the things you used to like to do, therefore do nothing. One of the treatments is to do the things you used to like to do regardless and get back into the groove.

As for woodworking, I think it is a bit different at least for me. If I have to draw the thing, I procrastinate, so for me, I would try to do something that already has the drawings, measurements, cut lists, etc.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Michael, pick a project that is above your skill level or involves something that you want to learn. Challenge yourself to learn something new.
Make something entirely with handtools, work with some highly figured wood that will provide a good challenge, try a new method of joinery, make it small and precise paying attention to the most minute details.

I've never got into a rut because there is so much that I still want to try and learn. The day I stop learning something new is the day that they are closing my casket.
Dave:)
WRONG, For the first time, your project list will be finished. Then you will have learned what it is like to be caught up. Just couldn't resist that one. Thirty years ago when I started my first house, one of my friends said "I want to see your house when it is finished." I replied "When you see my name in the obits, I'm finshed!"

sapwood

New User
Roger
Yeah, I sometimes get into a "rut" on woodworking stuff. Usually I just focus on another interest for a while. In fact, I have more of a problem staying focused on a specific interest, rather than a lack of interests. Guess I have Adult ADHD :lol:

As for woodworking specifically, I spend some time reading books or mags and soon find the creative urges renewing.

HTH,
Roger

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have been in a wee bit of a rut too!!! Having trouble mustering up the funds for wood!:BangHead: :BangHead:

Like Roger, I find just looking through books (from the library), magazines and some inspiring projects right here at NCWW gets the juices flowing.

I have also resorted to picking through the scraps and putting together some great jigs that will come in handy when the lumber "rack" starts to grow again!

Hang in there!

Wayne

Steve W

New User
Steve
Cathy, you took the words out of my mouth (or fingers). I have such a big list but I am shaking off the doldrums and will be starting on redoing my kitchen. I'm just trying to figure out how to make a nice one without going to the poorhouse ;-)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Find a picture of something beautiful that you would like to make...then make it. Scale it to size, draw up the plans. Use a new technique or different joinery in the process.

The best cure for rut-dom is to go into the shop with a plan then execute. I never get bored when I'm learning.

Chuck

Travis

New User
Travis
I suggest take couple of weeks off and get back at it or try something else at the same time. Pick up a couple more hobbies that are completely different. I have lots of hobbies so rotating around keeps it fresh. Just do not try fly fishing, it is very addictive.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
He can't take two weeks off.... We are currently working on one kitchen, planning a second, building a bed, two entertainment centers, a bathroom....

DavidF

New User
David
I would add: don't dream up a project to get you out of the rut that is a hard one! Failure will depress you even more and you'll jump straight back into the rut. Start something that is within your grasp, but make it a worth while project - my advise, don't make a shop jig that you don't need on the CURRENT project; I actually consider that a waste of time and because there is no immediate need for it the likelyhood is that it will get abandoned and there is that rut again......

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Thats really good information friends, I appreciate all of the replies. Pete and I do have a lot to do with our cabinet jobs and so fourth. But I want to take my personal woodworking to a new level so I think that I am going to take the advice of just about everyone here. I'm going to fine a project that is in my level of craftsmanship, research it, maybe tweak it, make jig if necessary in advance before the project, and then take my time doing it. When you build something for yourself at your own time you don't have to rush. Thanks everyone and I appreciate all of your help. God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS