Even a SawStop would not work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
Sorry to hear and I wish you the best. Bit my thumb last August so I know how you feel. On the good side you will be surprised how much fingers grow back. A friend of mine who is a chef told me that after it happened. Guess they have a lot of chunks gone from those sharp knives. Anyway he was right. Now I can't rob a bank due to my unique thumb print, but all of it grew back.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
My replies are marked with ** on each side.

First, even if it was a cutoff, that is too small a piece to cut off between the fence and the blade. For small pieces, you are best off to use a cross cut sled equipped with a toggle clamp to hold the stock in place and keep the fence away from the cutoff piece.

** I agree with you on all points here. However, I have been stupid in not making or even buying a sled. I am really a dolt on that issue.**

Second, always stand to the left side of the blade so any piece that is cut off that may decide to become a missle will miss you if the blade catches it. In other words, it is safer to let it kick back than to try to retrieve it (Mother Nature makes more wood, but she isn't very good at making new digits).

** I know it might be hard to picture but I was standing to the left of blade. The piece I was trying to move was also on the left of the blade but behind the blade. I didn't know what it was going to do so I hit the power button and tried to move the piece at the same darn time. **

Third and foremost (this applies to your tablesaw, a bandsaw and a table router), never reach over or around the cutting blade or bit while the tool is running. Always wait for the blade/bit to stop before any retrieval.

** Got it...now!**

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I'm so sorry to hear about your accident Anna-Catherine. I went ten years before I cut my finger on the tablesaw. I was definitely doing something I shouldn't. I remember that I saw the blood dripping before I felt any pain. I remember it took me almost six months before I could power up the tablesaw without a sick feeling in my stomach and a weakness in my knees. I also bought an aftermarket splitter, a GRR-Ripper, and a magnetic featherboard. It has been three years since my accident. I can honestly say that I haven't had even a close call since then, but my approach is much more respectful and careful.

An excellent point was made about a bandsaw also being dangerous. I remember an interview with Sam Maloof where he said that he was brushing off dust on his bandsaw table (with his hand) when he cut the tip of his finger off. While it was a terrible thing it happened, it made me feel better to know that even the very experienced professionals make mistakes.

I also remember thinking of all the tools I could have bought for the price of the ER visit. So for you accident free woodworkers - here is your excuse to get those safety upgrades.

I also wanted to mention that fingers do heal well, but it takes time. I got five stitches and barely cut bone. I was still getting nerve feeling back a year after the accident. I would say it is 99% back, but I am glad to have a scar on top as a reminder to be careful.

One other bit of advise I wish I had known was do not use paper towels to wrap your finger in. It was really hard to get them off at the ER after several hours. They recommended using a cotton rag or t-shirt instead.

I wish you a speedy recovery. It is a hard way to learn a lesson, but I learned it really well. Time really helps heal the wounds on many different levels.

Amy

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Normally guys I would post something funny about just how dumb I was today. Well, I had a tablesaw accident this afternoon. It wasn't funny but I was sure dumb!

Anyway, I am getting rid of the saw and buying a bandsaw.

Anna-Catherine

Just because you cut with a bandsaw, don't think you are out of the woods. I was cutting a corner off a turning blank, something went wrong, not really sure what, and I cut through the bone of my pointer finder. They were able to repair the finger, but it will never be 100%, probably 85%. Do something wrong and bandsaws are dangerous too.

Sorry to hear about your accident and hope you heal quickly.

Bob

DavidF

New User
David
I wish you a speedy recovery Anna-Catherine. Wow, all the accidents we have been reporting here recently! sure does make ME more careful...... I must say, I bought a Grr-pper (sp) system after BobCat Bobs injury and I use it a lot now, even cutting the edge off a cylinder felt safe enough. I also fitted my Dewalt saw with a kick off switch, so that I can just kick a board on the front of the saw and stop it so I don't need to move my hands at all to cut the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS