Essential Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
:cool: :idea: I just had a revelation. I need to have a talk with my wife. The LOML is going to have to let me get the most important tool of all.... a truck. I just realized that in order to start my first project, I need a truck to haul the plywood/rest of the wood. I suppose I could throw a blanket on top of the car and strap it down to the roof, but I think a truck would be better. [BANANA]Maybe I can get away with a utility trailer??[/BANANA]

Will

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Will,

I agree. She needs to let you buy a truck. After all, you'll build things for her and for the house when you start hauling in plywood, etc. You do have my blessings, but please don't tell her who it was who gave you the blessings. 8-O

Ray

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
While a pickup is certainly a convenient way to transport stuff, a simple cost benefit analysis suggests to me that a 5X8 trailer at around $650 or 5X10 at around $850 can carry a whole lot more stuff and should be somewhat cheaper than buying a new truck.

My Tacoma 4-door only has 5' of bed, and that makes carrying certain things (10' sticks of 2729, for example) somewhat dicey. I have dumped a dozen sheets of OSB into an on-ramp to US 1 and 20 sticks of composite decking onto a main thoroughfare in Henderson while trying to transport them in my short bed. I've never lost ANYTHING that was strapped down to the trailer. Oh, yeah, both the OSB and the composite were strapped down tight in the truck. Strap broke on the OSB and it slid out, the composite was so slick it slid out underneath a very tightly cinched strap.

Of course, if you can get both...

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
If you have green light on the truck, don't look back!

Mine is in the shop hopefully being brought back to life. I miss it something fierce.

Jim

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Will:

While I bought a Honda Ridgeline last year, there is another option. Renting a truck from a BORG when you need it. Don't forget that truck use MORE gas.:-( Further the personal property tax on a new truck is a lot higher than an older car. Even if you rent a truck 4 times a year at $100/rental (a random a** guess) it is still cheaper to rent it than buy a new truck.

However, if you will use it more often and for other things than buying one may be a reasonable option.

Doug

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
"...but Honey, all the cool kids have one..."

Good luck and I hope you get one. A big tool box and extended cab is always helpful. Rain sometimes slows me down when it is time to shop, and it is nice to put stuff inside.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
a simple cost benefit analysis

Man that sounds a lot like my wife....she's a project manager...I'm not going to be able to sell her on the idea lol :eusa_snoo.

I might go for the trailer, but I need to rig a hitch on my car. I know U-Haul sells one. I also might use the rental idea.

I noticed someone posted BORG .. you guys have a listing of all the shorthand somewhere? :eusa_thin

Will

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The other thing you need to think about with any trailer is how much car you have. If you're only going to get a few pieces of plywood (and eventually she'll have you hauling drywall too) then a trailer may be all you need. Just don't let the tail wag the dog if your car is too small. U haul will not rent a trailer to someone pulling it with less than or equal to a Ford Explorer anymore. Think about it.

T

toolferone

I have been driving trucks since 1988 and have never looked back. I also have a 4 x 8 trailer and love it too. If push came to shove on gas prices I would dump the truck and be very happy with a trailer. I will always have at least one of them.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I'm with Jim. And with a new vehicle. But I'd suggest trailer first, minivan with tow package next. Can haul 4x8 sheets flat on floor (with seats removed) when weather bad, tow trailer (mine pulls 3500# just fine) when weather good. More economical than truck; hauls more people/stuff; handles and rides better. Only possible downside is image. I'm secure in my manhood so that's not a problem with me!:-D

FWIW, lowest cost on trailers I've seen is A&B off 64 East at exit 1737 in Spring Hope.

Last edited:

lottathought

New User
Michael
I was considering buying a truck last year.
I almost did it too.
I decided to hold off for a while though.

The reason that I decided to hold off was due to gas prices. I average around 35-40MPG in my car.
I looked around and I just could not find a truck with any real pulling power that came anywhere close to that.

In fact, I also have an Explorer. It gets 16MPG and it gets driven only when I have to haul something ...or ....when the car is not enough.
It occured to me that if I sold my car and bought the truck, I would be essentially forcing myself into 16MPG all the time.
On top of that, I was taking on a new car payment.

Frankly I was suprised at what the average truck gets in mileage.
But, as it was described to me...trucks are as aerodynamic as a brick.

I then looked at a trailer. The trailer can haul anything that the truck can.
In fact, if the lawnmower needs to go somewhere, I can drive it into the trailer.....cant do that with a truck.

Having said all this....I still want a truck. And I do plan to get one someday.
I am just having a hard time making myself pull the trigger with gas at $3.00/gal and me having to drive over 400-500 miles in a week.

If you do not have to drive far...or gas is not really a problem...go for it.
I suppose the trailer also only makes sense if you already have something that can pull it.
But it sounds like you are basically where I am at.
You are still setting up your first shop. And I am sure you have realized what an investment tools are. I just could not justify in my head the loss of other tools so I could say I got a truck.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Will:

... Even if you rent a truck 4 times a year at $100/rental (a random a** guess) it is still cheaper to rent it than buy a new truck.

Doug

If you buy at the BORG, they will rent you a truck for $20... for the first 90 min. You replace the gas. I've purchased sandyply from them and used the truck.

Ray

J

jeff...

Well if your to ask me I think every man should have a pickup truck, at least a 5 ton 14' long trailer and a good chainsaw.

Nativespec

New User
David
How can you not have a truck? That's like not having a shop. That's like a shop not having a table saw. I have got to have a truck. I need a bigger truck.

Good choice for a basic tool in my oppinion.

Thanks,

David

nelsone

New User
Ed
I'd love to have a truck too! I can put a lot of things in the Grand Cherokee, but not the big stuff. I opted for a 4x8 trailer and love it. Do I still want a truck? Well yea!!! but this works nicely for now and is a LOT cheaper than the truck!

J

jeff...

I've already picked out my next truck, Chevy or GMC 4x4 2500HD extended cab. I'm not to keen 3500HD big dooley model only because I'm not sure how practical it would be as a daily driver. However I'm still a little unsettled on the year and if it'll be a diesel or gas motor. Just waiting for a little extra chicken scratch so I can go buy it.

I also have my eye on my uncle's GMC 8000 tandem axle dump truck. It already has a knuckle boom loader and a log bed. With a few things here and there, I think it would make me a nice little log hauler. I've already started priming him, it may take a few years but it will be mine... eventually...

Bottom line A guy needs a truck

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Will, since you used to live in Texas, I think a pickup truck like this one would be appropriate for you...

<grin>

Scott

Attachments

• DCP_1959.jpg
    DCP_1959.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 154

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Will a lot of good points and recommendations have been made here. One more consideration is parking. There are a lot of subdivisions within the Peoples Republic of Wake County that do not allow trailers to be parked on the street or even your own driveway. If you live in one like I do, the truck is your only purchase option. I am a truck owner and proud of it.

One could also make a friend who owns a truck

Will haul for beer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS