Equipment set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi Guys,
Despite my optimistic planning, it's now been several years since I've had any space for a wood shop. BUT, after countless delays, we're now about 3 weeks from moving into our new home. (Which means it will be mostly done). The basement will have plenty of room for a shop, and I already have a 110V 1.75 SawStop in my current garage in a box, plus my little Dewalt Jointer and my band saw. I'm going to order an 8" Grizzly Jointer and a dust collector shortly after we move in.
My concern is that while I'm comfortable building benches and work areas, I'm not really confident I know how to set up the jointer and table saw well, or really even the dust collector. Is it sacrilege to hire someone to set up that stuff and teach me how to tune them?
Todd

ehpoole

Ethan
There are rather few things that are sacrilege in woodworking, except perhaps the total lack of woodworking. :)

There is room for most every type of woodworker in this hobby and if that means you would rather hire someone to help you get your tools setup right from the get-go then there is nothing wrong in that. However, be aware that by skipping that initial learning curve and rite of passage you may cheat yourself out of the knowledge necessary to know how to setup your tools properly and how to verify they are still properly setup after an incident or with the passage of time (e.g. even cast iron can droop a bit over time). So work very closely with whomever you choose to hire and pay them to spend that extra time actually showing you what they are doing and checking, and, hopefully, do that work alongside them as an assistant so that you might glean at least some of that knowledge for yourself.

You might also make note of some of the tools they use in setting up your tools and consider acquiring them over time for your collection. While setup is a largely one time affair, both equipment incidents and time can cause your tools to drift out of their initial alignment (especially in the first few years) and it helps to know how to check the setup and alignment if you are suspecting a problem so that you can rule in or out alignment issues when you encounter a problem that does not quite seem to make logical sense (like when your jointer produces wedges or the tablesaw blade seems to be binding and trapping the board between the blade and fence during ripping).

That said, nobody ever gets all their tools setup perfectly the first time they try it -- never. There is a learning curve and you get better as you learn new tricks and techniques and acquire the appropriate tools and skill. So, if you have the time you may wish to give it a go. And if you do not, by all means hire someone, just do not be a passive observer -- learn as much as you can from them before they leave even if the added time costs a little more as the knowledge is invaluable.

PS -- Congratulations on your new shop, you will enjoy it!

Cato

New User
Bob
Well said, Ethan!
I would just like to add to that, whichever way you choose to get your equipment set up Todd , it will require maintenance and adjustment on a fairly regular basis. You'll likely need metric as well as SAE sockets and wrenches if you don't already have them, as well as a nice accurate reference square.

I can attest that setting up all this equipment the first time can be intimidating, exciting, frustrating, and rewarding all rolled together.

Thank goodness for forums like this with members that will chime in and offer some tips and tricks, that will not likely be found in the manuals.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Todd, are you familiar w/ the Hillsborough Orange Woodworkers (HOW) group? I'm sure some of them could help you get started w/ your setup and provide helpful advice in the future.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi Bill,
Is that the woodworking group Jim set up a few years back? That's a good thought. If memory serves, Jim was more interested in hand tools than machinery, but I don't know who else might have been in the group. I haven't spoken to Jim in a long time and the HOW website appears to be down/under maintenance. Do you know if they're still active?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Yes, they are still very active and try to meet every Monday night. You are right that a lot of their focus is on hand tools, but there are members who are also very involved w/ power tools and might be able to help. You can contact Jim at the email below.

Edit: email deleted for security purposes. If you need the HOW email, please contact me by PM. 1/5/16

Last edited:

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Todd,
HOW is active. I just joined in December and attending my 4th meeting tonight. Reach out to me directly for details.
Regards,
Matt

Last edited:

ehpoole

Ethan
Todd,
HOW is active. I just joined in December and attending my 4th meeting tonight. Reach out to me directly at xxxx@xxxxx.com for details.
Regards,
Matt

Just a friendly reminder that email addresses in posts are visible to the world, including for harvesting by spammers and phishers -- just something for everyone to be aware of. If this is by intentional choice then no action is required, otherwise you may wish to edit your post to remove your email address.

However, members may email fellow members via this site, without the initial public disclosure of email addresses provided the receiving party has enabled the profile configuration option (under the "Settings" control panel) that enables receiving emails from other users, as you have. This may be accessed via either a member's profile or by clicking on a member's username in their post and selecting "Send Email' from the menu choices. And, of course, members may contact each other within the site via Private Messaging (PM) using the "Private Message" option on the main menu bar, or from another member's profile or by clicking on another member's username on their post and selecting the "Quote Post in PM" menu option.

Last edited:

thsb

New User
Tim
I had no experience setting these machines up and it was very intimidating. not surprisingly, actually reading the manual helps a lot ;-). also, i am amazed that whenever i had a problem and typed it into Google something helpful came up. It ended up being a great way to get to know the machines a little better. I still don't love working on them but am now only intimidated by the time it will take rather than the task itself.

good luck!

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi Tim,

It seems wimpy to me, but you hit the nail on the head with the time issue.

Between work and the kids activities, plus all the other stuff that will need to get finished at the new house, I don't think the shop will get set up for 6 months if I don't hire someone. Right now the kids have drum lessons, piano lessons, hockey, ultimate frisbee, and tennis lessons and tennis conditioning start again soon. Add in band and chorus concerts, the daily school drop offs and pick ups and the usual errands, and I'm not hopeful about getting the shop set up quickly. If I hire someone and we set up a time, that also commits me to working on it . . .

How much time do you think it would take two people to set up a new table saw, jointer, and dust collector? Not the collector piping, just the machine. I was guessing 3 to 4 hours each.

Thanks,
Todd

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I do this work for people. PM me if interested.

Saw and jointer should take three to five hours total, depends on model of each, and you will learn a lot.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I do this work for people. PM me if interested.

Saw and jointer should take three to five hours total, depends on model of each, and you will learn a lot.
It's good to work with someone like Mike who is experienced and a great teacher. I bet dollars to donuts after Mike leaves you will know more than you ever imagined about setting up and maintaining your WWing machines and if you have time - have Mike teach you how to sharpen your hand tools (scary sharp) that is. I can personally vouch for Mike. You will not be let down - trust me on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors