Epoxy filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I am making a table out of walnut, and found the need to fill some "defects" in it. I used 5 minute epoxy mixed with sawdust. Here is what I started with (just one of several):

I finished up with it looking like this after wetting with MS.

and another:

Actually, they look to color match fairly close to the eye, but are readily visible in the photo.

My question is:
Is there a better way? This is the bottom of the table top, but I do have some cracked knots, etc in the "show" side.

Go

PS: More pics in my gallery in the Epoxy patching album.

T

toolferone

I also have filled some walnut knots with expoy, but instead of sawdust I bought a black colorant for the epoxy and just made my knots black.

Not a great pic, but you can see the knot.
pillowtable.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
What kind of black colorant? Will the oil based tints like I can buy at Michaels work?

Go

JRD

New User
Jim
You might want to try mixing old coffee grounds into your glue or epoxy.

I use it frequently to fill voids in turnings. It makes a sandable, black filler.

Jim

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
You might want to try mixing old coffee grounds into your glue or epoxy.

I use it frequently to fill voids in turnings. It makes a sandable, black filler.

Jim

So is that regular or decaf ? :rotflm:

Danny

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I also have filled some walnut knots with expoy, but instead of sawdust I bought a black colorant for the epoxy and just made my knots black.

Not a great pic, but you can see the knot.
pillowtable.jpg
Check around. Hardman used to make epoxy with the resin tinted black. I have used it for golf club assembly, and it works well. When it cures it is sorta opaque, so I'd think it'd do what you want here.

Last edited:

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I have not tried this on knots - but for small cracks, gaps and tears, I mix fine dust from sanding the piece I'm working on with clear ureathane. When I stain over it, it doesn't discolor the same way wood filler does.

Allan Campbell

New User
Allan
You might try googling for stone supplies. I bought some colorant they use with epoxy to fill defects and joints in granite counters. I have only used it a few times, but it seems to work well and a small tube is at least a lifetime supply.

I have also heard of using the leftover toner from a copying machine cartridge.

In my experience, you want to color the filler darker than the surrounding wood. The eye is attracted to a lighter color, but not a darker color (within reason).

Most of my filling has been in sap pockets in cherry and black works well there. It looks natural in cherry so I would expect black to work even better in walnut.

Good luck (and try whatever on a scrap first, it's hard to remove to try again).

Allan

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You can use UTC's and or japan colors (from Michaels, AC Moore, etc) with the epoxy. I have also seen shellac burn in sticks for sale in some of the ww catalogs, but have never used any myself.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Universal Tinting Colors. Basically, what the paint store uses to color paint.

I have been reading too many finishing books lately.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
You might want to try J.E. Moser Epoxy putty. It comes in a variety of colors and all you have to do is press it in place, level and sand when dry. I have used it for years. You can get it a Woodworkers Supply, Rockler, and Klingspor, as well as some other places. It is great stuff.
Jim in Mayberry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS