Entertainment Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I am building an Entertainment Cabinet for my DIL and son. I am building it out of recycled red oak taken from discarded furniture that my son got from his work site. As you can see in this photo there are dados in the side panels from where it was joined in the original furniture. This will be hidden in the final form of the new EC.

DSC05842.JPG

In this photo I have added the side wings. The EC will sit in a corner of their LR.

DSC05845.JPG

Now I have to made/install the trim. There will be a few minor blemishes in the wood that may show through the finish but I didn't have to buy 3-4 sheets of $68 oak ply either.

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Good job so far and a great use of reclaimed materials. It is looking good!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Dolan, you always do an awesome job with recycled materials. This is no exception.

Sing wings? Is that a proper name? I have never heard them called that before, but I have never heard them called anything for that matter anyway.

It looks wide, but then the "sing wings" are going to be outwards aren't they?

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Dolan, you always do an awesome job with recycled materials. This is no exception.

Sing wings? Is that a proper name? I have never heard them called that before, but I have never heard them called anything for that matter anyway.

It looks wide, but then the "sing wings" are going to be outwards aren't they?

Opps! That should have been "side wings" Not sure that is the correct name but that is what they look like to me. Yes, it is kind of wide but it has to hold a 42" LCD TV and my DIL wanted the side wings to display photos, etc. I think it comes out about 50" from the center of the corner.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The entertainment center looks great! Kudos for recycling material. It's good to conserve resources, and even better to conserve money! (hey, I'm cheap....:))

What do you plan on using for the finish?

WNC_Dave

New User
David
Good Looking Entertainment Center. I like the design and the use of reclaimed wood. Keep up the good work and post more pics.

Dave

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I'm getting closer to finishing the cabinet. I'll be glad so I can get it out of the shop and get back to my lathe. It is getting lonely I think.

DSC05915.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dolan, that looks great. I hear what you're saying. Large case work really eats up the floor space, and blocks access to the lathe :eusa_naug
Dave:)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just a suggestion....... why not put some turned finials on it so's you can get in some spin time on it too!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very 'purdy Dolan. That finish really brings out the oak. So what's left to do?

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Nice case, and I like the fact you made use of recycled materials. THat thing is going to be a bear to deliver.;-)

M

McRabbet

This is not meant to be an omen, but it looks like the

E N D I S N E A R! Great Job!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors