Ebony I like not

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
:nah: 2nd pen I have turned with Ebony and I have found out quick that I do not like to turn it - I can do better with the acrylics - Bad picture - sorry
Ebony.jpg

View image in gallery

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Can't see anything wrong with it. But, you're right about the pic.

So, why do you not like Ebony? I love to turn it, wish I had a big pile of the stuff.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Can't see anything wrong with it. But, you're right about the pic.

So, why do you not like Ebony? I love to turn it, wish I had a big pile of the stuff.

Both pens at the edges near the bushings have been fragile I guess you would say - I have enough of "meat" there but it seems to break off in tiny pieces leaving a rough edge and I can not get the finish that everyone talks about it having - Could be my method but I do not have trouble like this one the other woods:icon_scra

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If your tools are the least bit dull it can chip, but it should sand out and polish to a high sheen very easily.

What tool are you using on it?

Should be shearing cut with skew that is sharp enough to shave with.

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
Both pens at the edges near the bushings have been fragile I guess you would say - I have enough of "meat" there but it seems to break off in tiny pieces leaving a rough edge and I can not get the finish that everyone talks about it having - Could be my method but I do not have trouble like this one the other woods:icon_scra

The grain is running down the pen?

Anyway, African Blackwood feels more like other woods under the tool, but if it's ebony you want, then it might simply take a bit of time to get a feel for it. To me it feels friable and "chippy" as well, especially immediately after working with other woods. I have used Macassar and Gabon, BTW. There are other ebonies, of course, including our very own Persimmon.

I have to use exceedingly sharp tools on ebony: a skew with the heel ground off (grind off that heel! if you are catching a bit with the back of the skew you are...um...skewed), a roughing out gouge, a narrow parting tool, and one of a handful of variously sized three-cornered tools we make for ourselves from round files. For finishing a "hard" edge, such as what you are describing where the bushing fits, I use the parting tool or a 3-cornered one, although I would not hesitate to run a piece a bit long and then bring the edge to a sanding plate if it were being difficult. We make & restore chess sets, so the flat edges for us are the bottoms of collars and the very bases--not entirely dissimilar to pens: small and exacting!

For finishing, we use sandpaper, then 0000 steel wool, and then chami leather impregnated & dried with colourless auto refinishing fluid: 3M from AutoZone. :icon_cheers

~M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS