DW735 vs DW734

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Ignoring price differences and new/used, what do you get with the 735 over the 734 model ? I see used ones available, but need to know the differences so I can judge what's worth what.

Thanks,
Brent

Cato

New User
Bob
Ignoring price differences and new/used, what do you get with the 735 over the 734 model ? I see used ones available, but need to know the differences so I can judge what's worth what.

Thanks,
Brent

Brent, I looked at both a while back and ended up getting the 735.

Both are good machines, the 735 to me is beefier in construction and has two speed selections vs. one for the 734. One speed for fast thickness planing and the slower for finish planing.

A big feature of the 735 is a powerful chip ejector fan, so it can be used without a DC hooked up to it and the chip chute won't clog up. I use mine with a DC,and that coupled with the chip fan virtually leaves nothing on the machine after planing.

The 735 is a 13 inch model where the 734 is 12 1/2, though I'm not sure that is any kind of big deal to me so far.

There is also a very handy cut indexer on the 735 which has settings for several popular finish plane heights so that the cutter head stops when you reach that height. So if you set the indexer for say 3/4 inch and start making your passes when you get to that thickness the head stops from going any lower.

I really like this machine, but it is my first planer and for my needs the 734 probably would have been just as adequate, but I got a very good deal on a clearance sale from HD a few months back that was less than the 734 goes for so I jumped on it and didn't look back.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Brent, last time I looked there were several reviews for these machines on Amazon.com, pointing out both pros and cons. It might be worth a look.

Bill

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Based on what I've read on the site the 735 is pretty much considered the cream of the crop for "portable" thickness planers. I use quotes because calling the 735 portable is a bit of stretch.... The 734 is an excellent machine and there are several other models in the portable 12ish inch category of planers that also do an excellent job. You certainly can't go wrong with the 735 but it may be more than you need, especially if you want something easy to move and/or take with you.

Travis

Cato

New User
Bob
Brent,
Travis is right on the portability of the 735.

For me it rolls on wheels around the shop. Only time I picked it up was to go on the rolling cart.

smitty62

New User
Dick
FWIW-I have a DW734. It will take a 1/16" cut off a 10" wide QS wite oak board so it does the job for me..............:icon_thum I might pay the extra $ for a 735 if I was doing commercial work:dontknow:

I used to have an old (1945) Parks with a HUGE 2HP motor--great planer, but it was overkill for my use.

Dick

ehpoole

Ethan
When I was faced with the same decision several years ago I fairly quickly settled on the DW735 and have been very happy with the unit. I also upgraded mine with the Wixey digital depth gauge (a very nice accessory, handy but by no means essential) and the Delta Universal Miter Saw/Planer Mobile Base (though this requires either drilling 4 bolt holes in the DeWalt planer's base or, alternately, mounting the planer to a 3/4" plywood base). It is fairly easy to move around this way, and I can also collapse the stand and then stand everthing vertical freeing up about 2/3 the floor space otherwise used when the stand is fully raised and horizontal (floor space can be at a premium at times. NOTE: The Delta mobile base is very similar to the Porter Cable mobile base now carried by Lowes (the Delta had material rollers, while the PC has material slides).

For me the positives of the DW735 over other similar models were the following:

+Depth gauge with common depths, including a minimum depth of 1/8" (some stop at 1/4" minimum thickness)
+Four Acme thead posts (one at each corner) are used to raise and lower the cutter head. This greatly reduces snipe AND if I ever run into an alignment issue, I could fix that issue simply by loosening the lock nut(s) under the table, slightly rotating one or more posts to restore alignment, then retighten the locking nut(s).
+Unlike most portable planers, knife changes are an absolute breeze with the DW735. You simply remove the 4 bolts holding the top cover in place, remove a couple of thumbscrews that secure the dust shroud over the blade and you have FULL top-side access to the blades to either flip (their 2-sided) or replace. The same hex wrench you use to open the top cover also unbolts the knives and has a pair of magnets for lifting/installing the blades so you don't have to risk actually handling the knives.
+As already mentioned, the built in blower, especially when coupled with a dust collector, eliminates 99% of the debris, and is very good at ensuring chips don't get pressed into the board by the outfeed roller.
+The two speed transmission is a big plus IMHO.
+Compared to other portable planers, the DW735 is pretty much built like a tank... Everthing that counts for durability is metal, with plastic used primarly as a cover material.

The cons, and I really only have one major con:

-DeWalt suffered from a momentary lapse in reason when they located the dust collection port on the rear center, perfectly located over the outfeed side. In other words, if you let gravity run its course, your boards will want to run into/pierce your dust collection hose as it drapes over the exit. The solution is to use a large twist-tie to tie the hose to either of the two top carrying handles -- this keeps the hose entirely clear of the outfeed side. (MY ONLY GRIPE!)
-Like nearly every other portable planer with a material removal gauge (the gauge showing how much material will be removed, not the actual thickness gauge) the removal gauge isn't especially accurate. Nonetheless, it does serve the purpose of warning you if you try to remove too much material.

Some consider the side-mounted depth crank, versus the more common top-side crank, to be a negative. I, on the other hand, seem to prefer the DW735's side-mounted depth crank. It is up to you whether this is a positive or negative in your use.

With the aftermarket Wixey depth gauge, you also gain the ability to perfectly plane a new piece of wood that perfectly matches the thickness of an existing reference piece. You don't even need to take a measurement, just insert the reference piece into the gauge and when the gauge reads 0.000 you are set to produce a piece that matches to within +/- 0.005". I find that handy when I inevitably ruin a piece and need to remake a matching piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS