Dust collectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy

New User
Big Daddy
I need to draw on y'all's collective wisdom. I'm about to drop coin for a dust collector. I had decided on the entry level Oneida Dust Gorilla when FWW puts out an article on portables. The Delta 50-760 was rated excellent. It's far less than half the cost of the Gorilla. My shop design is an island with DC in the center, so the longest run to any tool is less than 7'. I would not use it as a portable, but would hard-pipe it into place and use gates. I am worried the Gorilla would be obscene overkill, but I am also worried whether the Delta has the mojo to pull chips from all the tools (one at a time, of course). I've never had DC, so I have no reference (except for reading,reading,reading). Anybody have the Delta or similar? Or the Gorilla? BTW, I looked for a thread on this. If I missed it, scold me appropriately, but please send the link!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
We don't scold here, we just provide help and encouragement.

To that end, you may also want to consider the Harbor Freight DC system. 1.5 - 2 hp, and when the top bag is replaced with a pleated filter, and the bottom w/ a plastic bag, they are proven to be quite effective. More than a few members of the forum have recently decided upon the HF DC. I think Hpetty was among the most recent? He or the others are sure to chime in.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
When it comes to the DC, always err on the side of too much power. The island concept is great and the short runs will help a bunch. You will definitely appreciate the separation of a cyclone over a single stage unit. I would not design around a "one tool" system unless I had too. you will frequently use more than one tool in rapid succession and you will forget to close blast gates. If the DC is adequately sized and you can run a couple of tools you will definitely use it more. You might also want to take a look at the Grizzly cyclone. It received a slightly better rating than the lower end Oneida in a recent American Woodworker review. IIRC it was also less expensive.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I'm with Steve on the Cyclones. I just replaced my Jet DC-1200 and it is a world of difference. If you can afford it, get a Cyclone. My .02. If you do go with blast gates, I would stay away from the plastic ones and use the aluminum. They are not that much more and don't clog up in the corners like the plastic ones.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I suggest that you go with the cyclone, before you know it you will around this forum toooo long and you will get "WoodGuy Disease" after you recover from the initial fever of the disease you will have twice as many tools, thus needting the cyclone. Seriously though there are lots of choices, rest in the fact that bag/canister DC's only deliver a little over half the suckage as promised. they test the unit without it hooked up and sucking real dust. Be blessed friend

Michael Garner

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Big D,
Travis Porter is selling a good DC, I bealive that model has a 13 or 14 in impeller which is good,,Way more better suckage with bigger impeller. Good price too. Be blessed

hpetty

New User
Hugh
NCPete said:
More than a few members of the forum have recently decided upon the HF DC. I think Hpetty was among the most recent? He or the others are sure to chime in.

I bought the HF unit at just under $140. I plan on upgrading to the Wynn Environmental $91 paper filter and plastic bags. But since I haven't done so yet I can't really give you a go/no go recommendation on this DC. I bought on price and other reviews, but have no experience with it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS