Dust Collection

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Why not look at the Harbor Freight 2 h.p. dust collector. I have one and it does the job!

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I used to have a Delta AP400 which is rated at similar airflow to this WEN unit. I hooked it up to 4 inch S&D piping and but blast gates at several tools. It kind of worked but the airflow was dissapointing. It was OK for the table saw, wouldn't work well with a 8 5/8 jointer and I didn't even try it on the planner. I didn't use it for smaller tools.

That isn't directly applicable for you. I don't know the dust port size on the sander you are talking about but if it is not 4 inches, I think you would be better off with a shop vac. DCs do not work well when restricted. The airflow drops off dramatically. But hooking to one tool at a time without ductwork and with a minimum of flex hose is the right idea for a really small DC. Even then I don't know if it will be OK with a jointer or planner.

I use a 10A rigid shop vac pulling through a dust deputy and equipped with a quasi HEPA filter for small tools. It works very well.

ck1999

Chris
User
Thank you for the responses. I looked at the Harbor Freight dust collector. But I'm wanting a smaller unit to mount up on the wall. I have a small jet dust collector that I can hook the single machines but I wanted something just dedicated for the sander. I build a shield around the belt park that has a 4-inch dust collecting fitting. I also have a rigid Shop-Vac hooked up to a Dust Deputy as well but it seems like with the Ridgid oscillating sander a lot of this sanding dust you can collect when it comes around the curve off the belt vs the port that's built into the machine for dust collection. That sounds about as clear as mud but I think you might understand.

The wen is only about $110 so it's cheaper than the other two models just wasn't familiar with that brand.

Chris

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
When deciding on your options, just be aware that many of these lower end discount dust collectors tend to have very poor filtration and have limited airflow and static pressure to work with (in some cases the CFM specs are taken direct at the inlet with no waste bag attached on the exhaust, so it’s sometimes difficult to know how much faith to have in them — but regardless actual airflow will be far less at the end of a 10ft hose). They all tend to use filter bags with a rather large weave (that pass a lot of the more harmful fines) because anything better (finer) would significantly reduce the airflow of such a small impeller and motor unless the bag were many times larger (more surface area to offset the restriction of a finer mesh).

So they can be effective with very short runs of hose (direct to tool) when it comes to collecting the larger chips and dust. However, the fine dust that tends to remain suspended in shop air and then settles out onto everything will tend to pass straight through the bag and into the shop air. They clean up the visible mess well, but the unhealthy fines that get into our lungs and settle out in paint jobs and on all flat surfaces will very much remain so it’s best to use them in a shop that has good ventilation to the outdoors.

I could not find any specs listed on the bag filtration level — ideally you want 1-2 micron (the lower this number the better), but it is almost certainly considerably coarser (likely in the 10s of microns). Also, 12 gallons sounds like a lot of capacity until you realize that as the bag fills their airflow decreases (further reducing effectiveness) so you never want to really fill the bag and if you have ever jointed or thickness planed a wide board, even 12 gallons goes by very, very, quickly!

But if you have good shop ventilation, or work outdoors, then as long as your expectations are realistic then they can have some utility. It is also worth noting that some operations, like jointing and planing, don’t necessarily generate a lot of fine dust in the first place and are, thus, less of a concern (though routing, sawing, and sanding do typically generate a lot of fines).

When it comes to collecting sanding fines, however, your best bet is the lowly shop vac coupled with an upgraded HEPA filter as they excel at that job — they also work great for hand routing with routers that incorporate integrated dust collection — and the much higher static pressures they develop allow you to maintain respectable airflow to the tool despite the typically narrow hoses most sanding tools are designed to accommodate.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I think WEN is an OK brand. I've used several of that brand tools over the years and not gotten any duds. If you are sure you want a little DC then I would not be turned off by a WEN. But unless their bags filter down to 1 micron, I would not use it without upgrading the bags. If you do, it will just circulate the fine dust that your nasal passages may not filter effectively - the bad stuff.

ck1999

Chris
User
I was planning on piping it outside. Just using the motor part to act as the vacuum and blow the output outside. I've been to Charlie shop and all his dust collection blow a big pile out back. I was wanting to do that just for this oscillating sander. So the idea is none of the Dust would be in the shop. My shop is neither heated or cooled so I'm not worried about that either.

Chris

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS