Durable spray finish for a bunkbed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

snojcb

New User
J.C.
I'm building a bunkbed/play loft out of poplar for my daughter and am approaching the finishing stage. I'm really new to woodworking and this is my first painted/sprayed project. I need some advise on selecting the finish.

I want the finish to be durable (kid's bed and play loft, so it's going to take some abuse). Thought I'd ask you kind folks for advise.

1) I'd like to spray the finish because I believe it would save a lot of time and the finish would come out smoother with less work (no brush marks to sand out).

2) I've heard spraying oil-based finishes is dangerous and messy (harder to cleanup). So I'd like to stick with water based.

3) I will likely buy a HVLP conversion gun from Jeff at HomesteadFinishing when I've made the final decision. Maybe an Accuspray 19c?? Will call Jeff and chat with him before I pull the trigger.

4) I want different parts of the bed to be different colors (so there'll be some masking involved). All colors will be pastels or white.

So, any recommendations of what kind of paint to spray that would be durable, easy to spray and come in pastels?? I've heard that latex on furniture isn't the best idea. Looking for advise from those with experience.

Oh, can I spray on the primer (kilz, Zinsser BIN??), too, or does that need to be applied by hand?

Thanks!
J. C.

Monty

New User
Monty
I don't have real experience with this, but Woodguy has recommended colored lacquer for painted furniture. It comes in a variety of colors,and using dyes you can alter the color however you want to. Plus, since it's lacquer it should be easy to spray.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Welcome to the best WWing site on the web, JC!
Based on what I've heard from Woodguy, I too was going to recommend a colored lacquer.
Instead of masking, would it be easier to spray it before the final assembly?

Monty

New User
Monty
Yea it probably would be easier to spray some parts like panels before assembly. But spraying glued parts like slats means you still would have to mask the glue areas.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
True. I was thinking more along the lines of components being screwed/bolted together. I hadn't thought about the glue...:slap:

woodguy1975

New User
John
Waterbased pigmented lacquer is the way to go. You get the benefits of the lacquer with burn in and rub out, but you don't have the smell and dangers of solvent based lacquer. Target makes a great pigment lacquer you get can get from Jeff at Homestead Finishing. If you want a custom color you can go to Homedepot, pick out the color and have them give you the pigments instead of buying the paint with the pigments. If you get pigments for a gallon of paint just add that to a gallon of pigmented lacquer and you have your custom color.

Good Luck,

John

snojcb

New User
J.C.
Thanks guys! I'll look into the waterbased lacquer. Should I prime or seal the wood before spraying the lacquer?

woodguy1975

New User
John
Thanks guys! I'll look into the waterbased lacquer. Should I prime or seal the wood before spraying the lacquer?

Seal it with solvent based shellac to save you grain raising. BTW, Accuspray equipment is awsome to me. Jeff has some 19 blems still on the website going for a good price. Some folks don't like accuspray, but I do. :D

Good Luck,

John

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
John
Is there a water based clear lacquer you would recommend? I am looking for some thing with out the smell and dangers of solvent based lacquer.
Thanks for your input.

J

jeff...

Waterbased pigmented lacquer would be a good solution, but I'm just a wee little bit conserned about durability. lacquer is a pretty soft finish and scratches very easy. I'm thinking a finish that's more durable as it's intended for a kids play area might be in order, to bad your can't spray a rock :lol:. Or is it am I'm a little conserned about nothing?

Since your basicly wanting to paint the bed, I'm asking myself why not good old enamel or expoxy paint? it's also made water based, the same kind of paint they finish appliances with, those are tough, durable, high luster, easy maintance finishes.

Just a thought...

Thanks

dozer

Mike
Sherwin Williams makes a waterborne acrylic that dries to a hard durable finish. I use to use it for stair risers, doors, and trim when I had my painting company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS