drum sander advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwat

New User
Bill
A beginning woodworker here shopping for a drum sander. I've reviewed all the old posts and reviews but find my question unanswered.

Space is a big concern since I'm set up in a 12 x 22 shop that is already crowded. The sand-flee intrigued me but after reading posts and talking to the local WC staff I'm now leaning toward a Jet 16-32 model.

Similar models are often seen in classifieds on a semi-regular basis so my question is, WHY? Are they not meeting the needs of the small shop? Is there a better choice?

I'd appreciate the advice of our experienced membership. Thx.

Nice Figures

New User
Sharon Barrett & Paula LaBelle
Hi Bill,
Because we deal in mostly figured woods and burls (a planer will really make a mess figured wood) I bought a 16/32 sander this year and have been satisfied with it's performance. I'm still having trouble tracking the feed conveyor but it's not bad enough to stop me from using it (just a bit annoying). I'm guessing here but maybe some folks think you can put a 36 grit paper on it and expect it to act like a planer and take off a 1/16" at a time, it's not, it's very slow and you have to take many shallow passes but it does work. I have not tried to use it on small (under 8" long) material. If you don't have one you will also need a dust collector when using it. If you're not planning to use it that often or need to surface something wider than 16" you might consider buying time on a big drum sander and pass on buying one until you need it.

Paula

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Paula made some great points. I just bought a Jet 22-44 about a year ago and love it. I think that it is a large tool that takes up quite alot of space if you don't have a certain project where you need it. Currently I am making thin building blocks where I use it alot. Originally I bought the 22-44 over the 16-32 mainly because I had big walnut slabs to surface that were about 20" wide so the 22-44 made it much easier. I also think that some people sell theirs because they like it so much that they decide they would like a wide belt sander that is much quicker and easier to change grits. As Paula mentioned, you do have to have good dust collection. Also for medium grits (80-120), there is still alot of finish sanding to do. Drum sanders definitely fill a niche between planers and ROS. Good luck!

Amy

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
In a 12 by 22 shop you may want to consider the Jet 10-20. I used ours in a 12' wide shop and it tucked nicely on it's Craftsman roller stand in a corner till needed.

Outa Square

New User
Al
what are you planning on sanding? I am looking at sanders as well and figure that the sandflee is good for large items such as boxes but it is manually feed. the 10/20 is good for panels but i am concerned about thickness sanding as it is only supported on one side and open on the other. The baby drum sander from grizzly intrigues me but i haven't heard much about them, but i figure that it would be good for sanding veeners to thickness.

you need to figure out what what you will sand and get what meets your needs and will be the most usable... pick what will do what you want to do the most the best.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I just recently sold a 22-44 pro. It was a decent machine, but it did take up a LOT of floor space. The reason I sold it - I upgraded to a wide belt sander.

To me, their are a couple of downsides to a drum, especially an open armed one.

First, if you touch the drum assembly while sanding it will leave a valley. Something to be aware of if you get one. Second, it is a pain to change grits so I left it always on the same grit.

As for why most people sell them, it is my opinion their are a few reasons. Most people end up not using it as much as they thought. Overall, they are good for sanding panels, and if you aren't doing a lot of panels, you aren't going to use it much. Next, there is floor space. The 22-44 I had took up a 4 ft by 4 ft area and that is a LOT if your shop is small.

The comments on say a 16-32 or a 10-20 are good. Bigger isn't necessarily better (I can't believe I am saying this), as a 10-20 should sand 90 percent of what you need. I only used the wide part of my 22-44 a few times.

Which makes me wonder why I upgraded to a 37" wide belt......:eusa_thin

bwat

New User
Bill
All great comments, thanks. :icon_thum

Yes, I have dust colection. For current small projects the Jet 10-20 or Shop Fox 12" closed would suffice but I was concerned that the reason so many smaller drum sanders hit the classifieds is that these were TOO small?

I have a DeWalt 735 planer but would also like the surfacing benefits of the drum sander for highly figured woods and am also concerned that the smaller unit would not have the needed HP?

Anyone have experience with the 12" Shop Fox? :icon_scra

Thx again!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
HP and time are the trade off. The smaller units are just that, smaller and will take more time.

I think most of the units that hit the market are primarily for how much they get used. Plus, if you learn how to use and maintain hand planes, the need for one of these goes down substantially.

woodnick

New User
Nick
I have Proformax/Jet 10-20 and it well be one of the LAST things that I would sell. I reguarly sand 15" to 18" wide boards. Dust colection is MUST but a small roll around unit works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS