Drowning in Sawdust!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
I wanted to find out what you high volume sawdust generators do with your sawdust? Before I started turning a few weeks ago, my delta DC was only about 25% full and I wasn't worried about what to do with it when it was full. Now this turning thing has me filling the DC rapidly!:eek: Do any of you have a "green" solution for sawdust disposal other than landfill or burning it?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Makes for great dog bedding especially ERC. Or you could pile it up and let the snakes lay eggs in it, snakes really seem to like a sawdust pile for egg laying.

Those are about the only two green things I can think of right now.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Makes for great dog bedding especially ERC. Or you could pile it up and let the snakes lay eggs in it, snakes really seem to like a sawdust pile for egg laying.

Those are about the only two green things I can think of right now.
Yeah, and it takes around 2 dozen snake eggs for breakfast.

mxracer

New User
Dan
If you plant one, you can also till it up in the garden. After a few years it will make the ground in the garden nice and fine.

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
Just watch what kind of wood you're dumping. Some exotics and native woods (Walnut in particular) contain natural herbicide.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Sometimes I have to remove it via a dump truck, so I guess that qualifies as "high volume"...

My disposal sources, in no particular order....

The chicken coop
The topsoil pile (to compost in - I'll disk it in after a couple of months.).
The compost pile
Source for top-dressing pathways through muddy areas
Spread in 3" layers around large trees as a moisture retention measure.
Spread on my hay pastures via a large manure spreader.
Top dressing for horse trails.
(Pine shavings only) Used for bedding in horse stalls and horse trailers

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I had a lot of cedar so I spread it around the bed in my backyard. I'm still using the hand plane shavings and smaller scraps for the fire pit. If you have pets, some woods may not be good for them?

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
"bed in the backyard". What have you done to cause you to have your bed in the backyard, Do you have a doghouse out there also? :rotflm:
should have said "landscaped" bed in the back yard. And yes, I have a custom dog house for my dog that has never used it! It's 1/4 scale to my barn that I made a couple years ago and the dog can't be less interested in using it. Go figure.

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Sawdust goes back were it came from. :eusa_thin The woods out back of the shop. :wink_smil

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS