Drill bit sharpening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I will need to sharpen several drill bits very soon and at the moment I don't have anything.

What do you use to sharpen drill bits?

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
If you just mean regular bits, I got one of these quite awhile ago on sale and I really like it. I'd have to look to see for sure what model, maybe the 300 or 400. I'd just buy new if I had to sharpen them by hand. Just don't have that patience.

Drill Doctor

Tom

MikeH

New User
Mike
Thanks Tom. I looked at the Drill Doctor and also made sure my wife knew that the bits were getting dull. I pointed her towards the Drill Doctor site but, I also wanted to get opinions from everyone here.

Thanks for the input.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike,
I don't have a Drill Doctor. But FYI, TWA (Triangle Woodworkers Association) members get a 25% discount on their stuff. . . at least according to the newsletter and website. Check out the Sponsors. Apparently members enter a code, but I'll be danged if I know what it is :eusa_doh:

HTH,
Roger

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
I also have the Drill Doctor. It works surprisingly well!! Just need to be careful when postioning the drill bit in the holder and make sure to use an even, continous turning motion. I wish they would make one for larger bits (3/4 to 1").

Bernhard

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Those little aluminum/steel types that use a bench grinder do a good job on bits larger 1/4". I have had one for over 30 years. I used to go to yard sales and buy dull bits over 1/2" in dia. Spend a few minutes, and sharpen and restore a dull bit. A couple of years ago, I bought a Drill Doctor (model 750) and it does a good job on bits from 1/8-1/2. Saved enough by sharpening to pay for machine!

J

jeff...

I sharpen mine on a bench grinder, learned how by drilling water lines when I was a mold makers apprentice (way back when/fresh out of high-school). The old guy that I was under was a perfectionist and I spend a big part of a day getting a single 2 foot long drill bit perfectly sharp (in his eyes). He made me the laughing stock of the shop. I can still here his crusty voice "Hey the kid can't sharpen a drill bit". It made me that much more determined to get it right. He was a good teacher after he was able to put me in my place. To this day I still use a bench grinder, just to prove to myself I still can :-D

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have a 1 1/2" twist drill bit-it cost me 15.00 everytime I have it sharpened.:crybaby2: Any cure for that? I am a little hesitant to try that one free hand.:roll:

jERRY

J

jeff...

Jerry actually the bigger bits are easier to sharpen. There are different angles for steel / wood. It's quite easy once you get the hang of it.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I have the newer Drill Doctor 750X it has some improvements over the original- holds the bits better, etc. It will also grind standard tips to a split point (they wander less). I have a full (150 bit?) cheap (China) drill index that I got for XMAS one year. These bits, even the almost never used ones, work much better after one sharpening with the DD! It is going for around $120 now from most vendors, and will pay for itself with the time and money you save not driving to the store and buying a new bit. You really save if you are sharpening masonry bits! One caution, if you don't use the depth stop or are not careful tightening the bit in the chuck, you can really take off some metal and end up with a bunch of stubby little bits! It may initially seem awkward to set up and use- practice on some 'throw-away' bits first. After sharpening one or two bits it will be second nature and is really quick. I jump back and forth between drilling wood and metal and it is so nice having sharp bits!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have the newer Drill Doctor 750X it has some improvements over the original- holds the bits better, etc. It will also grind standard tips to a split point (they wander less). I have a full (150 bit?) cheap (China) drill index that I got for XMAS one year. These bits, even the almost never used ones, work much better after one sharpening with the DD! It is going for around $120 now from most vendors, and will pay for itself with the time and money you save not driving to the store and buying a new bit. You really save if you are sharpening masonry bits! One caution, if you don't use the depth stop or are not careful tightening the bit in the chuck, you can really take off some metal and end up with a bunch of stubby little bits! It may initially seem awkward to set up and use- practice on some 'throw-away' bits first. After sharpening one or two bits it will be second nature and is really quick. I jump back and forth between drilling wood and metal and it is so nice having sharp bits!

I have looked long and hard at the Drill Doctor and wondered how well it performed. Thanks for the info, Alan!

Can you sharpen brad point bits with the Drill Doctor? Rather than investing in yet another set of bits, would I be better off checking into the Drill Doctor?

Thanks

Wayne

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I have looked long and hard at the Drill Doctor and wondered how well it performed. Thanks for the info, Alan!

Can you sharpen brad point bits with the Drill Doctor? Rather than investing in yet another set of bits, would I be better off checking into the Drill Doctor?

Thanks

Wayne

No, on the brad point bits. Not sure if they could make a simple machine to do these. It really is amazing - a bit that looks sharp cuts so much better after I've sharpened it. Heck, even cheap bits work better after one pass on the DD. I was frankly skeptical, but am a convert.

woodnick

New User
Nick
Putting the point in the center is the most important thing to do when hand sharping drill bits. A low cost bench grinder with a good 120 to 150 grit wheel and gage pictured below and Practice Practice Practice. There is a good article on sharping in the WOODCRAFT site.

Attachments

• drill gage.gif
    drill gage.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 161

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Ditto on the Drill dr 750 or the new model.
It will not do brad points but I find brad points useless for pen making.
The split points run truer anyway.
I ahve had mine for 4 years or longer.They do have an upgrade program if you have an entry model.I upgraded from the $80.00 one Lowes sold to the 750 a few years ago.
Great company and they stand by their product!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS