Dovetails us Incra Jig. Ya right!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc4digital

New User
Update your profile with your name
Ok, I have seen dovetail jigs with the fingers and from what I know they work. But I find this hard to believe. What am I missing?

Incra Jig LSRS

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This system does it all, dovetails, box joints, raised panel doors, molding, shaping......"

Ok, I am up for an explanation. Or is this creative marketing? 8-O

Here the link to see for yourself>>> 4th Paragraph
Incra Jig LS RS Package #3

[/FONT]

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Oh, yea the Incra jig can make DTs and just about everything else. It's a positioner that is repeatable, instead of a router bit following a guide template, the Incra jig allows you to set the work piece and move it over the bit with the ability to return to the same precise setting.
MasterReferenceGuide1000px.jpg

Dave:)

Last edited:

cc4digital

New User
DaveO Are you serious? It really can do dovetails? Is it realistic to do them this way? Have you ever worked on one?

If it can do it with ease that would be pretty cool. I would think there would be lots of measurements. I wonder if a jig would be easier?

Ok, now you got my curiousity going. I want to learn more.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DaveO Are you serious? YES It really can do dovetails?And quite fancy ones too Is it realistic to do them this way? Probably not any more difficult than other DT jigs, plus it also is an awesome RT/TS fence too Have you ever worked on one? No, but I have seen the results and tried out the positioner mechanism.

If it can do it with ease that would be pretty cool. I would think there would be lots of measurements. I wonder if a jig would be easier?

Ok, now you got my curiousity going. I want to learn more.

I think for DTs alone a dedicated jig would be easier, but the Incra system can do much more than just DTs. But like any all-in-one product, there is a little more to setting one up.
Dave:)

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I've got this setup, minus the table (I built one). The Incra system is pretty sweet -- and not too complicated. It took me a while to actually spend some time with mine (just lazy), but once I did I found it pretty straight forward.

It can do box joints, standard dovetails, "eagle tail" dovetails, double dovetails, double-double dovetails and some other stuff (no, I haven't made all of those yet!)

cc4digital

New User
gotojeremy:

Pretty cool and pretty amazing. Dovetail mesurement have to be so right on to work. I would think just slop in the system would be enough to make it unrealistic. Ok, I am woooooowwwwed.

I would love to hear from someone who made dovetails on the system.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I vote for spending $50 on a handsaw and hand cutting dovetails. You'll find it a lot more rewarding and produce joints a jig just can't produce.

I own 3 dovetail jigs from the Leigh to the basic PC HB jig and they do nothing but collect dust in my shop. I do know folks that have used the Incra and love it. It does take some thinking and setup but so do all the jigs.

It just depends on what you want to do and where you want to spend money/time. I'm more into fine furniture than cabinets so the jigs won't give me the look I'm going for. If I was still doing custom high end cabinetry I'd still be using my Leigh.

Good Luck,

John

woodguy1975

New User
John
Ya, but you have to love the tech side. I came accross this while searching the internet. It is a step by step. Both bind and thru and some others. At the bottom of the page it has previous/next. Doesn't look like a sales rep or anything to me. I am really impressed. I will have to put this on my list for the future.
Incra Jig Ultra - A superb joinery tool ************** Page 3

Woodshop Demos is a good site. He took about a 6 month break, but is getting his reviews rolling again.

Tech side...... You really don't know me very well. :rolf:

Do a little research on Woodguy's Disease on this site!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: I pretty much every toy you can think of, but that doesn't mean I can't do it the traditional way. :-D:-D Guys you might have to inform our new member about me. :rolf::rolf::rolf: Lots of empty bank accounts have been attributed to my influences!!!!!!!!!

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
The Incra has a learning curve, but it performs as advertised. (if the operator is as accurate as the tool :) )

Here are a couple of the joints I find the nicest. To be honest, both these boxes were supposed to be larger, but an operator error caused them to be a tad smaller than intended:

ddbj1.jpg

ddbj4.jpg

Double-Double Boxjoint

ddt1.jpg

Double-Double Dovetail.

ken

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
I've had the Incra jig for 6 years and think it is the most versatile jig on the market. Like anything else it take practice. The biggest thing is centering your work piece and bit height. You use standard bit and do not have to purchase bit made for the jigs. Hand cutting dovetails is about the only other way of getting a more diverse cutting arrangements of cuts.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
The Incra has a learning curve, but it performs as advertised. (if the operator is as accurate as the tool :) )

Here are a couple of the joints I find the nicest. To be honest, both these boxes were supposed to be larger, but an operator error caused them to be a tad smaller than intended:

ddbj1.jpg

ddbj4.jpg

Double-Double Boxjoint

ddt1.jpg

Double-Double Dovetail.

ken

Tease! I had clicked on those pics hoping they were thumbnails so I could really see the pretty boxes.:crybaby2:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
too lazy to think about going there earlier, and no coffee yet, either. One cup down, on my way to your gallery. NICE boxes!

cc4digital

New User
When I started this topic I really had my doubts, but I am very impressed.

It nice to see tight tolerances. :eusa_clap I get so tired of buying something and it having a slot instead of a precise hole.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
if you were closer I would bring mine by and let you test drive it for a couple weeks. It is a good system, I purchased the Intellie fence for mine and the centering jig. They help with the set up time. you wont be dissapointed with it. God bless.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
if you were closer I would bring mine by and let you test drive it for a couple weeks. It is a good system, I purchased the Intellie fence for mine and the centering jig. They help with the set up time. you wont be dissapointed with it. God bless.

Michael

I hadn't heard of the centering jig until you mentioned it ... but, wow, that sounds nice in concept. Does it work? Do you have the old-style or new-style incra system?

Is this the centering jig? How does it work?
centering.jpg

M

McRabbet

The Incra Jig is actually a copy of the Jointech JCM-1832 cabinetmakers fence system, which I've had for nearly 10 years. (see CabinetMaker's Systems). It includes a center-finder built-in and is a very precise tool (the stainless steel leadscrew allows fine adjustments to .001"). Both jigs work with templates that fit into the movable part of the fence mechanism and one positions the fence for each cut to be made. They are expensive, but they are very accurate and can produce many types of decorative (and standard) joints. I have mine on a dedicated router table. They also make models that will fit on tablesaws and provide precise fence positioning for both sawcuts and a router built into the extension wing.

Rob

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Jeremy,
If you would like I could send it to you so you could try it out. There is also a scale that you slid in one of the empty scale slots. You then determine the width of your board and then set the scale to zero. I have had my incra jig for over 8 yeats now. I purchased the origonal incra jig ultra 24in. and when the Intelli fence came out I purchased that, it is discontinued now. They sale the Wonderfence in its replacement. This is what I have. It works well for raised panels too.

Attachments

• hmgdShop_ToolsAllIncra_Intelli_Fence_Router_Table_Fence-resized200.JPG
    hmgdShop_ToolsAllIncra_Intelli_Fence_Router_Table_Fence-resized200.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 214

jmauldin

New User
Jim
I bought the Incra jig a number of yrs. ago and have loved it. I doa lot of furniture restoration and if you have to remake an old dovetail to match the existing ones the Incra can't be beat. My only regret is that I got the 12" rather than the 24". This jig can do a lot more than I generally use if for, just haven't had the time to play with it more.
Jim in Mayberry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS