Dovetail saw

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I'm planning on trying my hand at dovetails on small boxes. I have some decent chisels but no saw.

I realize too cheap a tool will make it more difficult and most likely frustrating but I don't have a budget right now for 200.00 saws.

HF has some 10.00 stuff. I have not checked Klingspore yet as I just decides on the box from Doug Stowe's book. He suggests a Dozuki saw. There seem to be price ranges on this as well.

What are the suggestions for this and I guess a Marking gauge?

This is what I plan to plagerise. Lol

Attachments

• 20230929_155313.jpg
    20230929_155313.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
For a Western-style saw, the Veritas 14 tpi dovetail saw is a good value. I'll upgrade to a better saw one day, but it performs well enough that I'm not in a rush

You could also go with a Japanese-style saw. I have one that I bought from Klingspor's, but I've never cut dovetails with it.

Last edited:

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I've used these saws to great effect in the past. If you aren't used to the pulling action, it may take time to get used to it. I have found that I have much more control/success with the pull stroke versus the western push stroke.

Japanese Dovetail Saw
Japanese Handsaw
I use a pull saw on miter keys, it was an odd feel but not too bad.

Seem the blade flex left and right is my biggest issue. On occasion I did into the wood face if I'm not real careful.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I only use the Japanese style pull saws. The trick is to set yourself up so the saw is in line with your forearm and the movement of your arm and the saw are in a line. Also with a pull saw you do NOT want to force the cut, you just push and pull and let the saw do the work. I find them much easier and more pleasant to use then a western style saw.

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
My Japanese dovetail saw is 17 TPI. I’ve used it on boards that were 1/2 to 3/4” thick. My flush cut saw has more teeth, but it is for smaller thicknesses.

I really enjoy using the Japanese style saws, especially for fine work like cutting dovetails.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
If you want a Western style let me know. I'll be cranking out a few in the near future. Can always use another product tester ...

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
If you want a Western style let me know. I'll be cranking out a few in the near future. Can always use another product tester ...
I don't have any particular affinity for either as yet. Kinda getting an average from the group. Might all depend on how old the responders are. I was just doing some practice dovetails using my lowes flush cut saw. Not too impressed with myself as yet but definitely need a good middle of the road or better tool to have a chance at being successful.

I assume you make saws?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Cecil Pierce was featured once in American Woodworker. He was missing some fingers (jointer accident,) and used a hack saw to cut dovetails.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I have both western push and Japanese pull saws for dovetails (and have used both for other applications) and there’s no question I prefer the Japanese. The remaining western saws I own are higher end dovetail saws. At this point, aside from those good western dovetail saws, I’ve gotten rid of all my western saws and have a number of different Japanese pull saws for hand work (and I should let the western dovetail saws go as well since I just don’t use them).

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I have both western push and Japanese pull saws for dovetails (and have used both for other applications) and there’s no question I prefer the Japanese. The remaining western saws I own are higher end dovetail saws. At this point, aside from those good western dovetail saws, I’ve gotten rid of all my western saws and have a number of different Japanese pull saws for hand work (and I should let the western dovetail saws go as well since I just don’t use them).
Thanks John,

I guess the different saws would be for different wood types and thicknesses?

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I don't have any particular affinity for either as yet. Kinda getting an average from the group. Might all depend on how old the responders are. I was just doing some practice dovetails using my lowes flush cut saw. Not too impressed with myself as yet but definitely need a good middle of the road or better tool to have a chance at being successful.

I assume you make saws?
A few just to amuse myself. I collect saws....and other things. Not trying to be the next Jared Greene. It's just something to do.

I'm making the whole thing ... Milling the back , turning saw nuts, cutting the plates and punching the teeth, handle... everything in house. I just about have it down quality-wise.

Screenshot_20230929-184622.png

Screenshot_20230929-184209.png

index.php
Screenshot_20230929-184153.png

Screenshot_20230929-184813.png

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
Hi, Jim. The different saws serve different functions, just like western saws. Just like western saws, there are different sets to the teeth for ripping, crosscut, tenon, dovetail, hole cutting, etc. If you’re in the area again just let me know and you can swing by and I’ll show you.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
A few just to amuse myself. I collect saws....and other things. Not trying to be the next Jared Greene. It's just something to do.

I'm making the whole thing ... Milling the back , turning saw nuts, cutting the plates and punching the teeth, handle... everything in house. I just about have it down quality-wise.

View attachment 222123

View attachment 222124
index.php
View attachment 222126

View attachment 222127
Wow, that must get interesting. I'm just trying to learn to use a tool and you're making them...

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Hi, Jim. The different saws serve different functions, just like western saws. Just like western saws, there are different sets to the teeth for ripping, crosscut, tenon, dovetail, hole cutting, etc. If you’re in the area again just let me know and you can swing by and I’ll show you.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when next in South Charlotte. That makes sense. My dad had a tool box full of different saws when he used to build houses. I'm pretty much a novice with a hand saw.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim, are you planing on coming to the Extravaganza this year? If so I’ll be demoing saw sharpening and I have taught workshops on how to use saws. I can use and show you how to use ether of the eastern or western saws. I personally prefer western style saws for many reasons. The main one is they are easier to resharpen reconfigure and repair. If you come to the show I’ll be easy to find, come to our booth and look me up and I’ll show you a few things to help you decide how you want to proceed.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
another point to keep in mind; the western saw has a much thicker stock of metal because you have to push to make the cut. The Japanese style has a much thinner stock since you're pulling through the cut. The thinner stock tends to make it easier work...But, you also need to know that since the stock is thinner there's more chance of kinking the blade. So you need to be aware of what you're doing and make sure you are not putting too much down pressure on the blade and your arm is in line with the blade so you're not trying to bend it around a corner. As I said earlier, I like the Japanese style as for me anyway, it's faster and less work. I highly recommend you try out both for more than a couple strokes before you decide. If you are planning to come to the Extravaganza (Oct. 20 and 21 in Hickory at the Metro Convention Center right off 40) let us know and I can bring a Japanese style Dovetail saw and another Japanese style saw that I use for miscellaneous cutting. You're welcome to try them out.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
another point to keep in mind; the western saw has a much thicker stock of metal because you have to push to make the cut. The Japanese style has a much thinner stock since you're pulling through the cut. The thinner stock tends to make it easier work...But, you also need to know that since the stock is thinner there's more chance of kinking the blade. So you need to be aware of what you're doing and make sure you are not putting too much down pressure on the blade and your arm is in line with the blade so you're not trying to bend it around a corner. As I said earlier, I like the Japanese style as for me anyway, it's faster and less work. I highly recommend you try out both for more than a couple strokes before you decide. If you are planning to come to the Extravaganza (Oct. 20 and 21 in Hickory at the Metro Convention Center right off 40) let us know and I can bring a Japanese style Dovetail saw and another Japanese style saw that I use for miscellaneous cutting. You're welcome to try them out.
Thanks, I did bend one, I got on sale a few years ago, and trashed it yesterday.. I think I would like to add some dovetails to a few projects but I use my hands every day at work and I have always tended to grip harder than needed and strain the hands and arms so won't be planning on doing a lot of hand tool work. I certainly can appreciate what it takes to step back in time and produce a product by hand but I need to think about longevity.

I missed the Extravaganza and picnic last year but will try a bit harder to plan them in this year. I have a new shop and quality power tool I bought from my uncle when he moved to Florida and from jredding. Mike gave me a great sharpening class and I feel like I'm progressing well for a newbie but it is an ever expanding hobby with no end to what you can learn. I'm looking forward to it.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
Please do. I am interested in the difference also

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS