Dovetail saw

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have one saw that is fairly short from teeth to the back. When I use it I just cut til it stops.

Otherwise, I use a standard round disc marking gage.

Haven't tried the tape technique yet. Seems like it would be great for half blind dovetails.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I have one saw that is fairly short from teeth to the back. When I use it I just cut til it stops.

Otherwise, I use a standard round disc marking gage.

Haven't tried the tape technique yet. Seems like it would be great for half blind dovetails.
I plan to try the tape next. Just got a better marking knife

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Check out Matt Estlea. He has some interesting, and detailed, tutorials on hand tool technique on his website:

And if you like books, I thought this one was pretty good:

Your box came out well. The alder gives a nice contrast between face and end grain which highlights the joint well.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

I like Estle. He seems pretty sharpe and I love his approach and humor not to mention the difference is words from British to American. I think I have watched that video. I'm trying to narrow down the number of these guys I watch. There seems to be a 100 ways to do something and I just need to pick one and work towards understanding the process and not just memorize it.

I do like the softer tones with the Alder as well. Ita probably the 3rd box I have made from it

Attachments

• 20221022_160036.jpg
    20221022_160036.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
  • 20220915_200123.jpg
    20220915_200123.jpg
    934 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220915_200101.jpg
    20220915_200101.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38

Dovetail

Rich
Senior User
Yep there is like a bazillion ways to cut dovetails. The one thing they all seem to agree on is cutting straight through the thickness of the tail board, and cutting straight down the length of the pin board.
Your box lids are awesome. Here's a few I've done. I am not much of a photographer, but I always make sure the "good corner" faces the lens. ;)

IMG_7261.JPGIMG_7262.JPGIMG_7267.JPGIMG_7377.JPGIMG_7907.JPGIMG_7923.JPGIMG_7378.JPG

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Yep there is like a bazillion ways to cut dovetails. The one thing they all seem to agree on is cutting straight through the thickness of the tail board, and cutting straight down the length of the pin board.
Your box lids are awesome. Here's a few I've done. I am not much of a photographer, but I always make sure the "good corner" faces the lens. ;)

View attachment 222756View attachment 222757View attachment 222758View attachment 222759View attachment 222760View attachment 222761View attachment 222762
Those are nice. I'm hoping to get there. I assume the more I do the more vision I'll get. I'll need to get some screen shots of those boxes..

The lids were a copy of a YouTube guy. I enjoyed those. Thanks

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS