Double Your RAM for Cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Sorry Reggie...not that kind of Ram...any bigger and you'd need a CDL:gar-Bi

Not exclusively woodworking but since most of us do a fair amount of virtual woodworking on a computer I'm comfortable putting this here.

Laptop RAM has never been cheaper. If you haven't looked at prices lately they've dropped below $20 for a 2GB stick of DDR2 and ~$10 for a 1GB stick. I just installed a 2GB stick (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148087) into my Asus EEE 1000HE XP netbook and put the stock 1 GB stick out of the netbook into my wife's Vista laptop along with an additional matching 1GB stick (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231069). I took the 256MB stick out of my work XP laptop and installed one of the 512mb sticks from my wife's laptop. Now the 3 computers have doubled memory and work much faster and are much more reliable...especially wife's Vista OS laptop (Dell should be spanked for selling a Vista machine with 1GB of memory and slow processors!) On my 4yr old Dell XP-Pro work laptop I can have multiple IE windows open, Outlook, Word, and VLC Mediaplayer in the background all at the same time and no constant wait for the Virtual Memory on the hard drive to load.

Anyway...if you've never considered doing this it's easy and safe to do with a little bit of prep. It took longer to open the plastic package than to do the whole upgrade. Here's an good youtube how-to video from How Stuff Works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkWe0gHA10I&feature=related

www.newegg.com had the best deal for what I needed. I have had a great experience with them recently but there are plenty of other reliable sources. Amazon was pennies apart in price.

www.crucial.com has a good configurator which will help match the type of RAM you need. Search for coupon codes for free shipping and specials on www.techbargains.com.

Mark
(a sliderule guy in a Matlab world)

dpanda

New User
Dan
I use Newegg for all my computer parts now. They have very fast delivery. The feedback rating system is also very helpful for helping you make a choice on what to buy. They also sell electronics and home appliances. I would check them out even if you plan to buy elsewhere.

Thanks for the memory advice!

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
The only cautions I would offer-

1. Make sure you order memory for your EXACT make and model of computer. Look on the bottom/back of the computer for the long version of the model number, not the shortened consumer model on the case or front. It can make a big difference or not work at all if you get the wrong memory.

2. Be careful handling the memory, make sure you ground yourself before handling and installing it.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I just upgraded my laptop from 512 to 2G, but it wasn't cheap. I won't use the cheapest of chips because I've had problems with some brands in the past. I can say that mine was not cheap memory anyway, not like some machines can use. I put out almost $80 for two chips, but that's a ton cheaper than what Dell asked for it when I got the computer. :eusa_thin I did use newegg too, only real place I've found to get what you pay for.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
In addition to Alan's advice it's a good idea to confirm the type of RAM you need by taking the hatch cover off and looking at the tag on the installed stick(s). Takes 15 seconds. Be carefull and don't loose the microscopic screws when you unsnap the cover. Most laptops will have the stick(s) sitting right in the top of the hatch. The type and speed will be printed on the label. The configurator at Crucial gives you all the info you need related to the max memory amounts and max speed limitations for your particular machine. Installing memory amounts or speed in excess of the limitation of the processor/motherboard only wastes your money unless you're overclocking the processor on purpose.

The majority of laptops/netbooks use 200 pin DDR2 SO-DIMM sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS