Door Clearance Fix????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well....

Here we go again! I think that I bit off more than I can chew tryin' to build a DT jig storage box. Of course I just had to use inspiration from Monty and DaveO. I should have known that I am too much of a newbie to try and build something designed by those two excellent craftsman!!:BangHead:

Here in is the crux of my issue. Went ahead and tried to use a two drawer storage design and completely forgot about the necessary door clearance to pull out the drawers!:slap: :slap: :slap:

Here is picture..... (fortunately everything, but the basic box (its glued up) is just dry fitted right now.

IMG_0263.jpg

You will notice that the shelf is supported in the middle with a piece of 3/4" oak, separating the two drawers.

Realizing my dumb mistake, I cut another center support/divider out of 1/2" stock giving me close to 3/16" clearance on the sides. .....

IMG_0266.jpg

So, now the question is, (1) would there be enough clearance for the door hinges? and (2) is there a type of hinge that would allow the doors to swing out a full 90 degrees to the sides? ...something like this?

IMG_0266.jpg

Or. At this stage, should I completely scrap the two drawer concept and go with 1 drawer with about a 1 1/2" filler on each side and leave out the center support? (The shelf itself is just sitting a blind dado on the box sides.)

Any advice at this stage would certainly be welcome! My own very poor planning got me to this stage, but I just have to ask for help and alternatives. (This is the type of boo-boo that keeps me up at night!:BangHead: )

Sorry for the long post!

Wayne

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Wayne,

First of all, the box really does look nice other than the little drawer boo-boo. I might be tempted to put a spacer / drawer guide on each side to center a single drawer. I guess I'd first ask, what will you store in the drawer(s)? That might help with the one versus two decision.

Ray

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I
guess I'd first ask, what will you store in the drawer(s)? That might help with the one versus two decision.

Ray

Hi Ray,

The plan was to just store jig associated stuff. Bits, router bushings, hex key and small odds and ends. All pretty light duty stuff.... (The current drawers are 4/4 oak front, 1/2" poplar sides/back with 1/4" oak ply bottoms.)

Thanks,
Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wayne, great minds think (or don't ) think alike. I did the same thing :lol: :lol: If I can find it, there was a whole thread on suggestions as to how to fix my screw up. I ended up using piano hinges as they had the least amount sticking out and allowed the door to swing 180°.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I

Hi Ray,

The plan was to just store jig associated stuff. Bits, router bushings, hex key and small odds and ends. All pretty light duty stuff.... (The current drawers are 4/4 oak front, 1/2" poplar sides/back with 1/4" oak ply bottoms.)

Thanks,
Wayne

Wayne,

If it's all small stuff destined for those drawers, maybe two instead of one is correct. Dave's post has a elegant answer; piano hinge. Either way, it sounds like you can fix this up without huge problems or a lobsided looking case. I'd like to see what you decide on.

What kind o finish will you put on this?

Ray

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks Dave!

I was so busy gawking at your pics in your gallery that I didn't even think of searching for your original play-by-play.

Alright, after many mistakes and design alterations, this is how everything worked out. Once I realized that I couldn't have the drawer set up the way I had initially planned due to the hinge clearance issue. I decided to make the drawer less wide. That was a pain the arse, it took most of the afternoon...mainy due to the fact that I can't measure right, even on the third time :BangHead: I still have the other door to mount, and finishing to do, but I did get something accomplished tonight. Thanks for everyone's advice regarding the hinges, I was baffled:eusa_thin

Dave:smile:

I obviously learned the hard way. I too may end up with just one drawer with a spacer on each side for the clearance as you did. I really should have caught on when I noticed the "fillers" under the shelf next to the box sides. I will just have to find another project to reuse these drawers. - I was so please with the HB DT's too!:crybaby2:
What kind o finish will you put on this?

Ray

Ray,

I had planned on giving it about 3-4 coats of Waterlox - (if it hasn't all turned to hardened gel on me yet).

Thanks guys!

Wayne

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Maybe you could remake your doors to mount outside the face frame? Just a thought.

There are euro type hings that open like I think you are saying as well as a few others.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
bladeburner

What about a tray door hinged along the bottom with a catch at the top?

Thanks Joe!

I may consider this as an option! Didn't even think of the obvious!

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Wayne,
Sorry about the oops, but the rest of the project is looking great. You've made great strides in woodworking during the last year . . . taking on more challenging stuff each project. Keep up the great work and considering being my mentor :eusa_thin

Roger

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
You've made great strides in woodworking during the last year . . . taking on more challenging stuff each project. Keep up the great work and considering being my mentor :eusa_thin

Roger

You are too kind, Roger!!!!!

I just seem to be taking on things that have a tendency to make me sink more quickly into a deeper hole of embarrassment!:lol:

I ain't going to let this little deviation get me though! I've already lost too much sleep over it.:eusa_pray

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I decided to go with one drawer configuration with "fillers" on each end for door clearance. Success at last!!!! I finished the oak with 3 coats of Waterlox. Great stuff!

Here are a couple of shots of the completed case.

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

Now .....What to do with the "left over drawers". I smell another small case to store router bits, corner chisels, dial calipers, compasses and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff!

Thanks for lookin' and all of your help with this one.

Wayne

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That looks awful nice to be used in the shop, don't let LOYL see it, she may use it as a display for something else.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Really fantastic 'recovery' from what your thought was a mistake toward the beginning of this project. The case looks terrific.

Ray

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Your storage cabinet came out very nice!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Nice recovery also!!! It's a good thing you didn't dado or DT the divider into the bottom of the shelf!

Sorry I saw this thread too late. I could have saved you some time and trouble. A number of vendors sell hinges that allow cabinet doors to be folded back along the outside of a cabinet. They are often used on entertainment centers in place of the slide away doors.

Here's one from Lee Valley

00h6201d3.jpg
00h6201s1.jpg

I need to redo my jig case, and try to do as good a job as you did and also incorporate dovetails. Leigh Industries is putting together a photo gallery of customer designed/built storage cases for their web site and wants to include my combination DT jig foldaway storage case/work stand. But right now it is just a glued and brad nailed Birch ply case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS