Don't go well together...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
...Stopping the bleeding and gluing up a cutting board. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

This morning I got to the shop and was gluing up the pieces of the cutting board I've been working on. I had just put glue on the last piece when I noticed the glue bottle about to fall off the table. I guess it is just instinctive to try to catch something when it falls, so as I reached quickly for the falling bottle of glue, I hit my pinky finger on the end of one of my pipe clamps. And yes, the glue bottle still hit the floor. :eusa_doh:

When I brought my hand back up, it was bleeding pretty badly. Not "stitches" badly, but "dripping" badly. So I ran and got a paper towel and wrapped it around my finger, then said a few choice words and tried to manage the glue-up at the same time as not "staining" the wood. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

How to prevent this? Well, maybe I need a bigger table. :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Sorry, no pics. Don't really feel like unwrapping all of that tape just yet. :tongue2:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Luckily, as a finish for a cutting board, blood is acceptable.

My question, what method do you use to sharpen your pipe clamps :p

Jim

Dragon

New User
David
OUCH! Trent, as someone else said, "It's not a day in the shop if I don't bleed!(b)

Not exactly my quote but pretty danged close. It's almost a given that if I'm doing ANYTHING remotely connected with my woodworking, sooner or later during the course of events, I'm gonna bleed at least once. Even if I'm helping someone else or doing it for someone else, blood will flow.

Sorry to hear there are so many others who suffer from the same affliction. Then again, I read somewhere that a true friend will laugh at your silly arse when you fall down. So.........
:rotflm::gar-La;:rolf::gar-Bi:rotflm::banana::banana:

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
And yes as Mr B Grumbine says,you will say bad words.I'm with Jim,what do ya sharpin yer clamps with :dontknow:Oh yes and I AM NOT gonna laugh,nope not one little giggle,nope not one :no:

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Cutting boards are dangerous... I was sanding the edge of one today - I was too lazy to put it in the end vise. It tipped over and I tried to "catch" it with my knee. The corner of the board hit my knee. The board is 20" x 15" x 2.25" and heavy. It left a serious bruise and actually bled some. I can't ever remember having a bruise this bad. Now I am limping around trying to get gifts completed...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
What kind of wood are you using, Hard Maple and Bloodwood? :rolf:

At least you were trying to catch a glue bottle! We all know the floor is detrimental to maintaining a chisel's edge. However, that does not justify attempting to grab said chisel when you knock it off the workbench. Remember, two chisels on the workbench is better than one in the hand.

Hope you heal quick.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I guess I sharpen my clamps with concrete. :eusa_thin At least on that end, because they stand on the floor. :gar-La; I really couldn't believe I cut myself. Granted it was the end of the pipe that they cut for me at Lowes, but still, I was swinging my hand "with the grain". Must've been the remarkable speed of those kung fu reflexes. :rotflm:

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Glad to hear it wasn't any worse than it was.
BTW.. it wasn't your pilsner hand was it? :eek:ccasion1 Jim

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
why ya wastin them shop towels?:dontknow: a little shot of CA and some accelerator and its good as new.:icon_cheers :rotflm:

SSuther

New User
Stan
Wear those scars proudly! My wife always laughs when she walks in and sees me watching Roy Underhill. The closeups of his hands always show cuts and scratches from his woodworking adventures.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
At least you were trying to catch a glue bottle! We all know the floor is detrimental to maintaining a chisel's edge. However, that does not justify attempting to grab said chisel when you knock it off the workbench. Remember, two chisels on the workbench is better than one in the hand.

I did grab the chisel as it fell out of it's pouch and headed toward my knee. The scar on my left hand is about 2" long and it took about 5 years to regain the strength in my thumb.

Herbie

New User
Herbie
Not going to laugh,its happened to all of us at one time or another and it doesent feel good at all. It itten that you need abigger table you like the rest of us just need to slow down and if something going to fall just let it. Herbie:widea:

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I seem to go through 'spurts' where I cut myself on everything in sight. Then mysteriously I won't cut myself on anything for months.

I am actually coming off from one of those spurts. Which reminds me, I need more paper towels and electrical tape in the shop.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Not going to laugh,its happened to all of us at one time or another and it doesent feel good at all. It itten that you need abigger table you like the rest of us just need to slow down and if something going to fall just let it. Herbie:widea:

That's a very good point Herbie. :icon_thum However, if I were to succeed in undoing those reflexes, it might not go over well at the dinner table. :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS