Don't do what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Or should I say fell to do. I work out of town, so I only get to spend about one day a week in my shop if I'm lucky. Dw wanted some maple resawed for her trivets, so I go to the shop and start to set up my band saw when I saw something bad. Three weeks ago saw some green oak burl for DW and did not clean my saw due to brain in idle, lazy, or just dumb. I spent one hour taken my roller barring guides out and getting all the sap off of them and had to use another 3/4" blade because I don't know if I get the one use clean. Its the first time I've cut green wood with my shop tools. ( Cathy may have to buy her own. )

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks John, but you're too late. BTDT :BangHead:

IIRC Insom suggested resawing a hardwood like oak to remove some of the gunk. I've yet to try that. :eusa_thin

Sapwood

DaveO

New User
DaveO
D'oh :eusa_doh: That sucks!!!! I cut some green wood on my BS today and the first thing I did was hose it down with WD-40 and clean it off. I hope it doesn't rust :eusa_pray
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow John, I guess there are a few of us that can learn from your misfortune. I had no idea the problems sawing green wood could cause. Thanks for posting this for us. BTW.....don't be telling Cathy to go buy her own tools...........she just might.:lol: Then you would end up being a two bandsaw family.

D L

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I haven't tried it yet myself, but have heard that soaking the blade in Simple Green will really soften the sap/gunk so it cleans off easily. You may want to rinse it and spray it down with WD40 after you're done, tho, 'cause simple green will be corrosive to any aluminum/magnesium parts in your machine if just left on it (if there are any).

Go

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Sorry man... thanks for the heads up. I think Kathy is already shopping for her own tools, you may be too late.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS