Don't Burn Down Your Shop

OldManK

New User
Kyle
I've just started using products like Rubio Monocoat, Osmo, and other Linseed Oil derivatives. I have heeded the warnings that rags should NOT be thrown in trash cans and should be allowed to dry before disposal or risk spontaneous combustion. But I have wondered how likely is that spontaneous combustion? Is this a real risk or just liability protection warnings?

Well, this video is pretty eye-opening at just how quickly and somewhat reliably it can happen. Wanted to share for others to stay safe and not burn your shops down!

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I know a local man who threw used rags in a metal trash can in his 100 + year old antique store. He had been using chemicals. The next morning he came in to find they had burned in the can overnight. That metal trash can is all that kept him from burning down a city block of historic buildings.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you can't get one of the regular shop cans with a closable lid that garages use, at least go to Tractor Supply and get a heavy galvanized 10 gallon can with a lid - and USE IT! If nothing else, it makes a good fire starter for the wood stove in the shop.....

Last edited:

llucas

luke
Senior User
I hear myself saying "I never do things like that" And I don't.
But..I'm going to my shop right now to check on things just in case. That is absolutely eye-opening!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is one of those times when I say "Those goofy You Tubers..." REALLY did right by us!

I thought it was telling that it took so long for the fires to start. After 3 to 4 hours I think anyone would think they are safe... JUST not true!

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I told a friend when he started turning that there were several finishes that had linseed oil and other solvents that could spontaneously combust. He would typically turn multiple projects, then finish in a batch. He put the finish soaked rages in his plastic trash can. In the early hours of the morning, he was awakened to a loud bang, which was attributed to an aerosol can exploding inside his burning trash can. Fortunately, it was not inside his shop.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
I've never had it happen to me, but as a volunteer firefighter I did go to a house fire that was started this way.

The company I work for lost one of our offices last year because of this. Employees had refinished some displays and left the rags on a table.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Another item often forgotten is steel wool. It can be extremely flammable if used with coatings or especially anything acidic. I have a separate metal "cookie can" that i keep used steel wool in until it gets disposed of. Fiberglas resin, overdosed with cobalt driers will also self combust as it catalyzes.

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
I always put mine outside on the concrete to dry. I watched this video yesterday and found it very interesting - and a tad boring while waiting for the fire to start.....

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
I was skeptical too until the house we bought last spring had a fire that could have been much worse if it wasn't brick. The subs installing WO floors left poly/stain rags in a trash bag with who knows what else, left the bag on pine needles by my front door and it combusted in the middle of the night.

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
Good reminder to pay attention. Like most things in the shop...if you are not paying attention they will get you. This one is sneaky thou..thanks for sharing.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
There is a reason that oily rags are supposed to be disposed of in approved metal containers. They start at the 6 gallon range and go up form there with modern ones having a lid and a foot step for opening the lid. If you are using a lot of oils this sort of container should be automatic and could be stored outside the shop to help reduce chances of fire in the shop. Chemical reactions happen, protect you, your family and your investments with proper storage.

Jim Wallace

jimwallacewoodturning.com
Jim
Corporate Member
They have safety cans in the finish room at the Crafts Center at NCSU. A couple of weeks ago they came in to find that one of those cans had had a fire inside during the night. The can contained the fire, but apparently it stank.

TIDE500

Mike
Senior User
We had 2 spontaneous combustion fires in trash bins at the school where I worked. Also we had a house being built in our community that burned down from stain rags. It's amazing that with all the warnings on products today, you need a magnifying glass to read the warning on the stain and finish cans!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors