Does anyone still use a folding-rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I was doing a shop inventory a while back and I couldn't find the folding rule we used to have. I was wondering if anyone still uses them in their shop.

I might go get one if someone can convince me that it would be worth it.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I use mine for transferring inside measurements. It has the sliding metal insert in the end, which works great. It doesn't matter if the ruler is accurate, as long as you use the same ruler for all measurments...I've found most tape measures with the sliding hook on the end are not accurate enough for precise measuring.
HTH,

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I was doing a shop inventory a while back and I couldn't find the folding rule we used to have. I was wondering if anyone still uses them in their shop.

I might go get one if someone can convince me that it would be worth it.

Yes---------I still use a folding rule. I much rather use it checking distance to the fence than a tape. The folding rule does not have that moving tip on the end. I also prefer the folding rule to check the depth of a dado, quite often the dado is too narrow to slide the end of a tape into it. Getting inside dimensions with the folding rule with the 6" sliding extension has proven easier to read and more accurate for me.

Even though the newer saws have tapes on the rails, that does not mean they are always correct. On a left tilt saw, if you change blades and go from regular to thin kerf, the dimension from blade to fence changes. There is also a chance that tape on the rail was stretched when it was put on.

It boils down to personal preference--------whether you are convinced or not I don't know but those are some of the reasons I still use a folding rule. I also use a tape so I keep both.:)

I try to use the same measuring device through out the finish sizing of all the parts of a project. Whichever it might be. Just my opinion.

Jerry

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Old habits are hard to break. I started using one in my work in the mid sixty and still use one today. I also use the steel tape, but the folding ruler has a good feel to it.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
yep. use mine all the time for particular things like dado depth and hole depth. as mentioned above they are handy.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I inherited two, but, rarely if ever, use them. As a kid playing around with my dad's I would alway pinch my fingers. They don't lay flat and the thickness makes it hard to measure and mark accurately. I tried using the the sliding brass tip for inside dimensions, but I would routinely bump it off the mark. I guess they are ok for framing but not cabinet work; at least for me. On my table saw I use the installed tape, the Wixey digital fence, or a flat SS rule when using my primitive Xcut sled. I bought the Lee Valley doodads and used some hardwood sticks to made an inside dimension measuring stick. I use that to measure the diagonals when checking for squareness of drawer boxes and cabinets. I use the tail of my calipers for dado depth, and blade and bit height measurements.

DavidF

New User
David
I inherited two, but, rarely if ever, use them. As a kid playing around with my dad's I would alway pinch my fingers. They don't lay flat and the thickness makes it hard to measure and mark accurately. I tried using the the sliding brass tip for inside dimensions, but I would routinely bump it off the mark. I guess they are ok for framing but not cabinet work; at least for me. On my table saw I use the installed tape, the Wixey digital fence, or a flat SS rule when using my primitive Xcut sled. I bought the Lee Valley doodads and used some hardwood sticks to made an inside dimension measuring stick. I use that to measure the diagonals when checking for squareness of drawer boxes and cabinets. I use the tail of my calipers for dado depth, and blade and bit height measurements.

All this - Me too

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Yep,

Outside read only though, It just because I've had one forever. They are a little harder to find.

4yanks

New User
Willie
I use mine to check diagonal measurements when squaring up carcasses. It can be handy when you already have clamps on and are going for the final adjustment. It can be a bear to get a tape to keep from kinking during the same process. Admittedly it's not used a lot, but I'm glad I have it.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Yep, use mine often.
Two reasons:
(1) I have three or four "legacy" folding rules . . . never bought one
(2) I don't have to ask LOML to hold the other end :lol:

Roger

toolman

New User
Chad
In the machine shop I check and make part to .0002. But in the woodworking shop I use my folding rule all the time..

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Used mine tonight for an inside measurement. Even though I tell myself that it is not reliable for precise measurements, I am always amazed at how well it does. Also ...

Fits in my pocket
Spans gaps without collapsing
Impresses neighbors and relatives (don't know why, though)
And best of all, finds those mid-back itches

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Last year I needed to replace my folding rule, I wanted the reverse type that lay's flat, Nobody has them in stock. So I went to Copper tools main office on capital road inside the loop looking for a rule. Thay called the Copper plant in Apex and sent me there to pick one up. When I got there they had both styles waiting for me. They gave me my choise and then they gave me a new claw hammer with belt clip and small nail puller and 2- 25 ft. pull tapes, just for good mesure.

I have a few steel tapes and steel rules but when I go into my shop I always have 1 of 3 folding rules in my pocket. I like the reverse read type the best. I use it for every thing less than 6 ft.

dick

mcoston2

New User
michael
I very seldom use anything other than my folding rule in my shop. I just can't trust a tape measure for setting up my saws and routers ect.

Michael :icon_thum

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I use both folding rules and tapes. Sometimes its which ever I lay my hands on first in my cluttered up shop and sometimes its which is more convenient to use such as inside measurements (folding) or measuring longer boards (tape). I couldn't do without either one.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Alot of times for setups, I use my dial calipers. Funny thing is, that is not why I bought it. I was just going to use it for dados. Now I use it on everything.

Based on what has been said about folding rules, it sounds like there is alot of uses that I haven't thought about. It would be nice to have something with some more bulk to it.

Now to convince LOML... :eusa_pray

"...but Honey, all the cool kids have one..." :icon_thum

Thanks Guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors