Does anyone have this Freud door bit set??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am embarking on my first RP door build. I like the profile in this set -

41M2WSA089L._SS500_.jpg

Freud round edge rail/stile bit with the cove RP bit. #97-102

Plus I would like to profile the outer edges of the doors with this -

41AGSSR46WL._SS500_.jpg

#99-065

I only have two smallish doors to make. Not being a big fan of raised panel door styling, I doubt that I will get much use out of the $200 I can drop to buy the set +. If anyone local (Raleigh area, within 50 miles) has this set I would love to bribe you into the borrowing of it for a couple of passes :eusa_pray:eusa_pray:eusa_pray

TIA,
Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I made one very similar tonight. I don't have that style of raised panel, bit, but I have the cope and stile set, and I can make that edge you show with a combination of router bits and a hand plane (made one for my BIL tonight.

You are welcome to come by and make it if you like. Might take an hour tops.

T

toolferone

I think I might have a close copy of the raised panel bit. I will check tomorrow and let you know.

Sorry, I had it backwards. I have the rail & style, but not the raised panel. You are welcome to borrow them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dave, I have the rail and stile bits. My raised panel bit is the Freud 99-515 not exact but close. I do not have the edge bit. You are welcome to borrow any or all of these.

Phil

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
97-106 is the set I have . I think the only difference is a back cutter
on the raised panel cutter. Also have the setup jigs.
Give me a call.
Pete

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks to everyone for the offers of help. I knew I could count on this great group to help out a guy.
The cove RP profile is fairly important, because I am trying to match (or be similar) to other cabinet pieces near by.
Thanks all :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
97-106 is the set I have . I think the only difference is a back cutter
on the raised panel cutter. Also have the setup jigs.
Give me a call.
Pete

Pete, can the back cutter be removed? With only a 2¼ HP router I was planning on multiple cuts, and I don't think that works well with the back cutter :dontknow:
I would like to take you up on this in a month or so. I don't have your number...PM me.
Thanks,

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have 3 different sets of stile and rail bits. one is identical to what you show. also have 2 RP bits. one is a cove as shown. I allso have a profile bit that is large but has several profiles depending on how you set it up. I believe the profile you show is possible with this bit. you are wellc0ome to come by and use them if you like. I just made 10 RP today useing my woodcraft set. they turned out well. I also made a sled for the coping cuts. I use them in a shaper so I only need to make 2 or 3 passes.:gar-Bi

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Pete, can the back cutter be removed? With only a 2¼ HP router I was planning on multiple cuts, and I don't think that works well with the back cutter :dontknow:
I would like to take you up on this in a month or so. I don't have your number...PM me.
Thanks,

I think with the back cutter bits you set hight then use the fence to make multiple passes instead of raising the bit.:dontknow: I've never used one with the back cutter though so I may just be passing gas!:gar-La;

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I am not local and it looks like you have sources closer but I have equivalent bits (and have used them so they are not new but still servicable). I use mostly MLCS bits - it looks like they are cheaper than the Freud set you are looking at. They also ship for free. I buy bits each time I have a project that needs them - and then end up finding several other uses for them.

My cove bit for the raised panel has a back cutter and I have used it with my PC690 (although now would use a slightly bigger Ryobi R500). I prefer a separate back-cutter in case the panel lifts slightly during one of the passes - but you can use this bit with mid-sized routers. You just need to make 3-4 passes.

Jim

KC7CN

New User
Don
Dave, I can understand your reluctance to spend big buck for a raised panel bit set. I was in the same position last year when Peachtree had a 25% off sale - just in time for Christmas as I recall.:icon_thum I purchased the 3 pc Ogee Raised Panel With Backcutter Bit Set - Item 97-210. That made the difference for me! I don't know if they will have the same deal this year, but here's a link to their website if you're interested:
http://www.ptreeusa.com/freud_3pcDoor_sets.htm

I used the set to make the raised panel doors on LOML's sewing cabinet.

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS