• Whats a tv? I live in a cave

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I spend alot of time in my shop/basement/garage. So I recently put a Small TV in. I bet some would say that is dangerous because it might distract you and that might cause you cut off a finger or have an accident. Curious if you had any thoughts on this.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
No Tv, but I do have a desktop PC in mine. Wirelessly linked to NCWW, or any other website I desire.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I have had a tv in the shop for about a year now. :thumbs_up A great addition. I think the cats enjoy it more than I do.

NH2NC

New User
Eric
Got a 36" bad boy in the corner. I don't let it distract me while I'm working:eusa_hand, but it's nice for some background noise when I'm doing finishing, light sanding, etc...

Plus...Gotta have the game on on Sunday! :icon_cheers

Rob

New User
Rob
I voted yes, but I haven't set it up yet, so it's not working. I mostly listen to music in the shop.

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
Nope, no room for one.

Seems like it would be a dangerous distraction to have one in the shop to me anyway.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
No TV but a radio does it for me. Can't get FM reception too well so I stick with a local AM station that has old time country songs (Goerger Jones, Hank, Sr, Ernest Tubb, Arthur Smith) , Jerry Clower, & 'Swap & Shop'. It's kinda fun listening for a change compared to what I hear on the CLT radio stations sometimes.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
NO! If I could have my way there wouldn't be one in the house either.:no:

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Yep, 37" Visio LCD connected to a DirecTV HD DVR and an old surround sound system.
When I'm working it's tuned to SirriusXM (included with DirecTV package). TV for local news around 6 pm and weekend football and Nascar.
I 'stole' the TV, the HD DVR was free and is $5/month fee, the sound system was free.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
No TV but a radio does it for me. Can't get FM reception too well so I stick with a local AM station that has old time country songs (Goerger Jones, Hank, Sr, Ernest Tubb, Arthur Smith) , Jerry Clower, & 'Swap & Shop'. It's kinda fun listening for a change compared to what I hear on the CLT radio stations sometimes.

Dennis: Where's that station? That's MY kind of music! Please!
:wsmile:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I have one in my shop. Sits right on top of the spare refridge.
I have had a TV in my shop for over 8 years.
Distraction, yep can be! I might not get as much done in the shop if there is something on that is interesting, mostly it's background noise.
I turn it on by habit now.
WHen I have noticed it being a distractor is when someone else is in the shop working with me.
THEY get distracted with it and are not paying attention to what they should be. So then I have had to turn it off, much to their displeasure. Oh well rather be safe.
Placement of the TV can be strategic, place it so that your back is to it when operating tools.
If you can't see it, then your focus is then on where your hands are.:wink_smil
MY .02

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Yes, I have a 19" in one corner. I primarily watch college hoops, football and auto-racing. I mostly just listen, but will walk over to watch the replays of big plays. If I'm finishing or something else mundane, I will move my work over to that area to watch/listen a science or news program. I don't find it a distraction at all, because I'm mostly listening, which is obviously impossible when a power tool is running. I spend a good percentage of time in the shop doing cleanup or other small repair tasks.

Chris

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Yep, I've got a little 13" on the end of my workbench and I couldn't live without it. A lot of harpsichord work involves doing the same thing over and over again, sometimes as many as 180 times. I need the sound from the tv to keep my sanity. I don't get distracted because I usually have the Sci-Fi channel on - grade C movies are real easy to ignore. Having been a music teacher for 34 years, I find I can't listen to music in the shop because I can't ignore what's playing. My kids give me a yearly subscription to MLB.com so I can watch all the Yankee games on my computer. The Yankees are the only thing I miss about New York. I don't get a lot of work done when they're on, but it's worth it.

Ernie

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I voted no because there's not one in my shop at the moment, but I have cable out there so it's inevitable. I'll probably only use it like a radio and listen to sporting events or CNN in the background. Right now the radio is good and I still only use it half the time.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have one with cable, but it is rarely turned on. It is mostly used to watch weather reports as the basement shop is the best place to go when bad storms are coming.
But I can't work in the shop without the radio on, I need the background noise to concentrate.
Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nope, but that's because my shop is at my work and we don't have cable there. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: Probably a good thing though, because if we had cable, we wouldn't get anything done. :gar-La; Once I have my shop at home I'm sure I'll hook up a tv in there. Like Dave, I doubt I'd cut it on very often, but it would be nice to be able to see a game off and on while working on something. :rolleyes:

I watched tv in Skeeter's shop the last time I was over there. Man, he's got a sweet setup! :eek:ccasion1

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Nope not at all. The only power I have in my shop (roll up shed) is an extension cord I've run from the house. I have to run it from inside b/c no on put outlets on the outside of my house. It runs of the same circuit as the washer so I have to make sure wife isn't doing laundry when I turn on the table saw or router:slap:. So if I was to put a TV in there, I wouldn't be able to run tools. I am planning on running power out there soon, but as for now, can't do both.:sad11:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS