Do not confuse setup blocks with gauge blocks

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
So grabbed one of those sets of setup blocks made of Chinesium. Red anodized, nice markings, nice case. Cheap.
So, how accurate are they ? Most were +/ .001". A few .0005". The 123 was not that good, but I have "real" 123 blocks that are better than .0005. About half of them differ end to end by .001.
Makes sense that no matter how well they were machined, being anodized will be slightly variable. They have a textured finish. Gauge blocks are so smooth you have to slide them apart.

That means for setup in woodworking they are fine. Just don't think of them as a standard. Gauge blocks of course cost 10 times as much. Really good ones, well don't ask.

I'll see how handy they are. Never used them for machine setup before. Cheap enough to find out.

gtrboy77

Dean
User
Also, setup blocks for woodworking are almost always either anodized aluminum (as noted above by Scott) or brass. Gauge blocks (mostly used by machinists, quality assurance, and others in manufacturing environments) come in three flavors that I have seen: highly polished chrome steel, solid carbide, and ceramic. Just my two cents.

gtrboy77

Dean
User
FYI, you can pick up a new set of grade B gauge blocks for a little over $100 (Amazon has them) that range from .050” - 4.0”. They will be far superior to any woodworking setup block set and more accurate. Likely the last set of blocks you’ll ever need for anything like that. Or better yet, call around any machine shops, manufacturers, or calibration houses and ask if they have any sets that have failed calibration and you can get a set for free.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Still, in my 40+ years of woodworking and woodworking machinery setup I have never had a need. What do you use them for and why?.

Last edited:

bainin

New User
bainin
They are great for setting "desired" standard gaps on tools. For instance, if you need a half inch wide strip on the table saw, you can place a 1/2" block between the blade and fence to set the distance rather than resorting to a tape measure/ square etc.

b

Charles in Richmond

New User
Charles
I'd say .00x would be fine for woodworking - humidity variance will move wood far more than that. I'm guilty of forgetting I'm a woodworker not a machinist sometimes.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
So grabbed one of those sets of setup blocks made of Chinesium. Red anodized, nice markings, nice case. Cheap.
So, how accurate are they ? Most were +/ .001". A few .0005". The 123 was not that good, but I have "real" 123 blocks that are better than .0005. About half of them differ end to end by .001.
Makes sense that no matter how well they were machined, being anodized will be slightly variable. They have a textured finish. Gauge blocks are so smooth you have to slide them apart.

That means for setup in woodworking they are fine. Just don't think of them as a standard. Gauge blocks of course cost 10 times as much. Really good ones, well don't ask.

I'll see how handy they are. Never used them for machine setup before. Cheap enough to find out.
My setup blocks are made from ChiTaninium and are an upgrade from Chinesium. ChiTanium is even redder than Chinesium. Don't fall for those cheap Chinesium knock-offs when for a few cents more you can be the proud owner of ChiTanium setup blocks.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors