Dimensions of Seat for a Mission Dinning Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
I just finished the construction of 4 mission style dinning chairs. Now I need to make the seats. Could the experts here give me some guidances on the dimensions for the seats. I want to use plywood for the seats. The seats then will be covered with foam and leather.

Thanks.

Qui

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Most seats that are covered drop down in to the frame of the chair. That should give you your outside dimensions. As far as foam (padding) height goes, I would recommend using 2.5-3" foam with cotton batting over the top to soften the edges. Norm on TNYW did a few upholstered chair projects and that is basically what he did.
I hope I have came close to a helpful answer:eusa_thin

Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Woodsaw said:
I just finished the construction of 4 mission style dinning chairs. Now I need to make the seats. Could the experts here give me some guidances on the dimensions for the seats. I want to use plywood for the seats. The seats then will be covered with foam and leather.

Thanks.

Qui

Dave answered what I would do. You question is confusing. If you already made the chairs then the seat dimension is established already.

John

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
Thanks for all the usefull answers. What I mean is how much larger the seat should be than the frame.

thanks again. I will post pictures tonight.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
From what I have seen in Mission styled dining chairs the fabric (leather) part of the upholstered seat either extends to the outside dimensions of the seat frame or just to the inside showing a little reveal of the frame. How is your seat going to be attached to the chair?

MLB3164

New User
Marty
If you need any help with the upholstery let me know. I have 15 years experience as an upholster and have an upholstery shop in my basement. I am on the south side of Winston Salem. This offer applies to any other NCWW members.

Marty

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
Thanks again for all good info. The seat will be screwed from beneath. I am thinking of making the seat 1/4" larger than the frame on all sides.

Also another question. Where can I buy some leather good and foam to cover the seats? Any help is appreciated.

Qui

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You should be able to get upholstery foam at most fabric stores like Joanne's, I can't give any advice for your local area, but there is a listing in the Raleigh Yellow-pages. I know nothing on leather, but be careful if you Google it :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:

Last edited:

MLB3164

New User
Marty
All upholstery foam is not created equal. It comes in different densities. The higher the density the harder the foam. They have a foam called XL that is a much higher grade than you can buy at any fabric store. This better grade is less prone to breaking down over time and it is designed for seats and seat cushions. I would also recommend either using a layer of cotton batting or a layer of bonded Dacron over the foam. This will make a much better seat if you are using leather. If you don't mind driving there is an upholstery supply shop in High Point off Mendenhall called Genco Supplies. They carry all grades and thickness foam and the last time I was in there they had some great deals on close out leather. Give them a call. 1-800-868-8878 Hope this helps.

Marty

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
Thanks again to all who gave good advices. I am actually working in High Point. I will try to contact Genco Supplies for availability of leather. Once I finished the chairs, I will post pictures.

Qui

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
One way to get a little more comfort out of a "slip seat" is to cut out the plywood bottom and add rubber webbing. I would allow around 2" or so of wood around the perimeter and then staple some webbing across. If you push up on the bottom of a upholsterted seat bottom that is removable in the center, you will notice that most of them are cut out in the center. If the seat bottom hangs over your seat rails and does not fit in a rabb, I would suggest no more that a 1/4" overhang. The welt line will make it look a little heavier, but don't go over a 1/4.

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Great advice Dutchman. This definitely makes a better seat. My experience has been getting seats in to recover and the webbing has deteriorated so bad that it feels like you are sitting on a toilet seat. 8-O This can also happen if the webbing is not interlocked together when webbed up and pulled tight enough. If done right the extra give in the seat makes for a much more comfortable seat. I have seen the webbing implode the seat frame itself if it isn't made of substantial enough plywood, just a thought. Maybe we are giving Woodsaw TOO MUCH info. Good luck with the seats.

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
Thanks again for the good info. Now I need to put those valuable advices into action. I am going to do the covering this coming weekend. Also yesterday I went to palce in High Point and bought a full hide of leather for $75.00. I think this is a good deal.

Regards.

Qui

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Where did you get the hide? That is a good price for a full hide. I will be around the house this weekend if you run into any problems. If you PM me I will send you my phone numbers. Good luck.

Marty

Woodsaw

New User
Qui
Marty,

Thanks for your kind offering. I don't remember the name of the store. But, it is on English Road near Eastchester in High Point. It sells fabrics. I may find it in the phone book. The gentleman does sofa and chairs also.

Regards.

Qui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS